Regular Contributor

KA 5 cup or 3.5 cup chopper

[ Edited ]

The 3.5 cup has the extra bowl and the 5 cup is bigger with the whisking blade. Don't need both. I already have the large Kitchenaid food processor, but I want something smaller to cut up nuts, onions, make pesto. Do you need a wisking blade or can you just as easy make whip cream without it?

Honored Contributor

Re: KA 5 cup or 3.5 cup chopper

[ Edited ]

I've had both sizes--not from KitchenAid tho--I got rid of the smaller size because I could not stand the high pitched, tinny screeching sound the dang motor  made. I now have the Ninja Storm which, I think, is 5 cups and it is the bomb ! Just the perfect size for most everything I need. Haven't tried whipping cream yet tho; it didn't come with any extras. And what I like the most is you can scrape out the bowl really easy--doesn't have so many of the ridges inside it. 

Esteemed Contributor

I think the smaller bowl would work for your needs with the chopping, etc. IMO I think you must have a whisk/ whipping blade for the whipped cream. I would check on line and see how much this blade costs. That's what  I did when I wanted that flat edge blade. Make sure you get the machine that fits the space you have on your counter

Does the larger mixer come with a mini bowl for your chopping needs?  I have one and it's a very useful item. If it has that and all the paddles plus the whisk then I would select it. If not, I think I would choose the smaller one and purchase the whisk elsewhere. Hope this helps you.

Contributor

I understand your predicament. I bought the 3.5 cup before the 5 cup was released. One of the nice features was the extra bowl.

I ended up buying the 5 cup as well for the few times I needed a little larger container plus the whisking attachment.

I use the the 3.5 most of the time. It suits for chopping onions, carrots, nuts, etc.

I am starting to make my own salad dressings, so I wanted the whisking attachment (I haven't had a chance to use it yet.). I also wanted it for whipped cream from scratch. Even though I could do it in my stand mixer, I wanted something that could do a smaller amount and be easier to clean.

I have used the larger container and it has come in handy.

I think if I could only buy one, I would have just bought the 5-cup. There has only been a couple of times that the second 3.5 cup container has absolutely been needed (I was too lazy to wash the first one I used and just stuck it in the dishwasher. I needed to chop something else so I was able to just grab the second one.). It is easy to wash and I probably wash it by hand 50% of the time.

I really wish they offered just the 5cup container with attachments as an add-on. So far, they don't.

Respected Contributor

@kam24 wrote:

I understand your predicament. I bought the 3.5 cup before the 5 cup was released. One of the nice features was the extra bowl.

I ended up buying the 5 cup as well for the few times I needed a little larger container plus the whisking attachment.

I use the the 3.5 most of the time. It suits for chopping onions, carrots, nuts, etc.

I am starting to make my own salad dressings, so I wanted the whisking attachment (I haven't had a chance to use it yet.). I also wanted it for whipped cream from scratch. Even though I could do it in my stand mixer, I wanted something that could do a smaller amount and be easier to clean.

I have used the larger container and it has come in handy.

I think if I could only buy one, I would have just bought the 5-cup. There has only been a couple of times that the second 3.5 cup container has absolutely been needed (I was too lazy to wash the first one I used and just stuck it in the dishwasher. I needed to chop something else so I was able to just grab the second one.). It is easy to wash and I probably wash it by hand 50% of the time.

I really wish they offered just the 5cup container with attachments as an add-on. So far, they don't.

I have both, and find the 3.5 cup is all I need, wish I had never bought the larger one, it is collecting dust. Have a new neighbor getting married in Oct. hope she needs one and a KA mixer, which I have used 1 time and hate, it has stupid pins on the side the bowl fits in, absolutely hate it. She'll get that too if no one buys her one. Never buy a stand mixer, get one the head raises.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HLP   What a shame you've had trouble using the KA bowl lift.  I had trouble at first and was frustrated, but kept trying.  Knew that there had to be some "trick" I was missing.  Now I just automatically "know" how to do it.

Set the bowl over the pins to line up and engage them and then press gently on the inside of the bowl's back so that it forces down the tab under the "neck" to lock the bowl in.  If you still have the manual the info is found in there as to how to do this.

Your new neighbor will be one lucky lady when you give her your essentially brand new mixer.

I'll tell you both the lift and tilt head mixers retain their value--when they are listed for sale they get snapped up quickly.  I never moved fast enough when trying to purchase a second hand one which is why I finally purchased from QVC several years ago.

Respected Contributor

I have the 3.5 C with the extra bowl and use it a lot for chopping nuts and other things. I was happy to see the 5 C and ordered it specifically for making pie crust - I have a large KA food processor but it is a lot of trouble to get out just for pie crust.

Honored Contributor

I have the 3.5 with the two bowls.  Love it.  I bought a 3.5 for each of my girls for Christmas.  Didn't buy it at QVC so it is only one bowl, but that is probably all they need and one doesn't have a lot of storage room.  Now I see the 5 C is about the same price at QVC, but 3.5 (smaller) is probably better for them.  Hope they like it.   (Bought at Kohl's on sale; better price than Q and was free shipping.)

Regular Contributor

Well I bought the 3.5 cup and I'm glad I did. It's fast and powerful. With the drizzle in the lid, the oil is slowly added. Homemade salad dressing in minutes. I made homemade mayo and pesto that I couldn't have done together using a whisking blade. The extra bowl was the way to go for me. Thanks for all your help.