Honored Contributor

K64307 - Disappointed (Zacharian Carving Set)

[ Edited ]

Ordered this as 1) replacement for 30 year old set and 2)when demonstrated it looked like it cut so well.

I bought a Costco chicken roaster and tried the knife set to carve.  The knife is dull I literally was "tearing" into this little chicken.  Barely cuts cold butter...🙄

All the hype and it is going back☹️☹️If I can't cut a little roaster how is it to carve a turkey?  I'll go back to sharpening my old set or my electric knife that cuts everything!

(I'm marking defective I'm tired of wasting $$$$ to return junk to QVC).

Don't waste your $$$--tried to write review system was unavailable how convenient!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: K64307 - Disappointed (Zachariah Carving Set)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1    You won't buy a decent set of knives on a TV shopping channel ever.  I learned that lesson years ago

As much as you cook, you should treat yourself to the basics of a QUALITY set.  I got mine years ago at a hardware store, made by Case.  You can tell they're good by the price.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

Lesson learned the hard way.  I looked at a set on Amazon ($$$$) and then saw his.  Certainly did not perform the way he demonstrated it.

Guess for a few times a year I'd need it the electric knife will do.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 In all honesty I can't stand Zacharian and think his stuff is overly hyped and over priced.

Don't like him on Chopped or The Kitchen. I think he's a big blow hard and full of himself.

I agree with Kahcina, you deserve much better than this stuff!

Respected Contributor

Re: K64307 - Disappointed (Zacharian Carving Set)

@homedecor1 wrote:

Ordered this as 1) replacement for 30 year old set and 2)when demonstrated it looked like it cut so well.

I bought a Costco chicken roaster and tried the knife set to carve.  The knife is dull I literally was "tearing" into this little chicken.  Barely cuts cold butter...🙄

All the hype and it is going back☹️☹️If I can't cut a little roaster how is it to carve a turkey?  I'll go back to sharpening my old set or my electric knife that cuts everything!

(I'm marking defective I'm tired of wasting $$$$ to return junk to QVC).

Don't waste your $$$--tried to write review system was unavailable how convenient!!!

@homedecor1

I think most of his products are junk, he should be ashamed of himself, laughing all the way to the bank i guess though.

I bought Item number K62160 Cuisinart 3-piece Nitrogen Knife Set.

I have expensive knives and wanted extra knives to have when cooking a lot and needed more without breaking the bank, these are great.  VERY sharp and seem well made.

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 Sorrry for your disappointment!  You can get great slicing knives from Amazon from expensive German and Japanese brands to Swiss Army Victorinox ones that are reasonably priced. 

You probably have the fork already. Also, Black Friday is a great time to shop for knives and slicing knives are good for so many things.

Hope you find something good!!!

Occasional Contributor

So sorry. I learned that lesson the hard way with a Wolfgang Puck knife set from HSN. Awful knives. 

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 So sorry they disappointed, though people gave some good suggestions here.

I really don't trust all the hyped celeb brands, period. They are talking heads, just parlaying their celebrity into another income stream, (and good for them they can), but basically talking heads for whoever mfrs their stuff. Much different, to me, than a brand that's been around for years, specializing in whatever it is you are buying. That's where my trust and money goes.

Good for you marking them "defective!" I too am sick of the $7 return "shopping deterrent" cost. I recently marked the Mally shadow stick set I returned as "defective" and got my ship costs credited! I figured, these aren't as they advertised, don't perform as they said, that's defective to me! They were awful (and I've been a Mally customer on so many products, including shadow sticks, for years, these were not same quality.) I decided, if it's NOT as they describe...it's getting marked defective. Though...I'm trying less and less on Q now. Too easy at Amazon, and other places, with better pricing, and quick, free shipping to me and if it has to go back. 

Respected Contributor

@amyb 

Celebrities....sheesh....

It seems that some people think these celebs are home in thier garage, busily tinkering on some gimmicky item, crafting it just so for themselves and the infomercial/shopping channel viewers...

Paula Deen, Shaq, Emeril,Puck, Curtis Stone, Zakarian.... etc etc etc...air fryers, cookware sets, pasta makers, Kopper Krap.....

They are ALL just little stickers that have thier name on them, slapped on whatever the item-du-jour is in TV land, most, if not all of it .made in China. 

Chinese company gets some kind of specs from American company to manufacture this stuff....example  "We need 10,000 air fryers, 1850 watts, UL or CSA listed, ten color choices, and this kind of display or operating panel....please supply estimate and we will get back to you".

Order accepted, item made, celeb label slapped on it ( TV Celeb du jour....Emeril, Puck, Paula Deen, Zakarian, etc) and voila!!!!

It now becomes "Emeril's Air Fryer"!!!

The ONLY thing Emeril has to do with the fryer is signing a facsimile of his handwritten signature on a template for the vinyl lable, and signing a lucrative agreement with XYZ Co. to use his name on "his " air fryer!!! 

He is NOT at home cobbling or designing it in his garage late at night, trying to get the wattage just so to "create" a pile of tan glop "gourmet" french fries in two minutes!!!

O yes. He also checks his direct deposit every week to see how many of "his" airfryers sold to date!!!

(Just used Emeril as an example...they ALL are included !!!)