Honored Contributor

K49062 Glass cracks all the way down on air during demo...

This is the Genius Chopper featured this morning on QVC. Chef Tony is making a fruit salad using the chopper, has a very small glass (?) bowl with coconut in it and it slips out of his, hits the edge of the bowl and you see the large crack from the top of the dish to the bottom. He was holding the tiny bowl MAYBE 3 inches above it? If something cracks and chips that easily, no way would that last long.

Video is still up if you want to see it. It's the bowl with the lime green lid and base; making fruit salad.

Respected Contributor

Re: K49062 Glass cracks all the way down on air during demo...

I just watched the video.  Yes you can see the crack and he just keeps going like a professional.  When they move on to the next container Carolyn puts her hand in a place on the table so it just hides the crack because of her hand .  I have this chopper but in plastic, not glass.  I love mine and do a lot with it.  But, I don't need it to be glass.  I can serve and store in mine just as well.

Honored Contributor

I see what you mean.  maybe it was already cracked - i.e. not the result of dropping the smaller bowl with coconut.  ... Though it seems unlikely they'd use a cracked bowl in a presentation, so you may be right.

genius chopper.JPG

Respected Contributor

I also commend Chef Tony for just moving on like it never happened.   Maybe they need to rethink having a glass bowl as part of this chopper. 

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr   The crack wasn't there when he started on it.  It cracked when he dropped the other dish.

Honored Contributor

Hard to imagine that dropping a small bowl of coconut into the glass container, from only inches above, would cause a crack, especially when the fall was cushioned by chopped fruit already in the glass container.  Oh well, must be like you said - poorly made! Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

@luvmybeetle wrote:

@ValuSkr   The crack wasn't there when he started on it.  It cracked when he dropped the other dish.

Yep.

Esteemed Contributor

@SahmIam 

I would totally purchase this is glass dish!

Over the weekend, I was watching a show on PBS and saw the most amazing fresh floral decor created in a square dish just like this and I wondered where in the heck can I get one, because you just don't see square glass dishes everywhere.  Metal, yes, but not glass.  I'm going to buy one now.

Also, I would posit that there was a fair amount of pressure being applied with the use of a coconut.  Me? I'd never get a coconut near glass trying to do that, but that's just me.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I dont think it is unusual when something is dropped on a glass dish that it cracks.  Thats glass.  Sometimes it takes very little pressure to crack glass.  The dish could have been compromised in that area and a little force finished it off.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

Like @luvmybeetle, I have a couple of these sets with the plastic bases, and they've been working well for many years now. When I first saw this set with the glass base, the longevity of the piece with all the lid closing and pressure was definitely something I thought about, but I figured if it was made strong enough for baking, it must have been tested to withstand daily use (and the glass base does add versatility). Apparently, you will need to be a bit more careful when using this version, but it's also unlikely that you'd be smashing another piece of glass into it on a regular basis...  Smiley Wink