Valued Contributor

I have the previous version of this that Mark Charles offered a couple years ago.  The stainless steel plate that you pour the water into has discolored and looks burnt when the eggs are done and the buzzer goes off.  I am using Brita filtered water and using the correct amount of water according to the cup measurements for hard boiled eggs.  Is anyone else having this problem.  I am considering buying this one but want to know if this will be a problem with this model.  TIA

Trusted Contributor

I have a different brand, but that happens with mine too. Try white vinegar. Let it sit a while, then wipe off. Or try a product for cleaning stainless.

Respected Contributor

@WORKING GAL - I have the same response as @Caffeina; I use a vinegar solution in my MCM egg cookers and it clears up the discoloration quite nicely. MCM also recommended trying a Magic Eraser, but I didn't have success with that. I'm guessing Barkeepers Friend would also work, if you have that on hand (though I haven't tried it on the cooker).

Trusted Contributor

Re: K47543 - EGG COOKER

[ Edited ]

@WORKING GAL  No, you're not doing anything wrong. I don't have the MCM egg cooker, but I believe they work similarly.  My SS tray gets discolored like yours.  Try doing this -- after cooking the eggs, while the cooker is still hot, pour a little white vinegar in the tray.  Let it stay for a little while, dump the vinegar out and wipe the tray with paper towel or sponge.  It'll look brand new. 

Valued Contributor

@Caffeina- Thanks you for the vinegar suggestion, I'm going to try it. 

Valued Contributor

@loriqvc - I tried magic eraser and it did nothing.  I will try vinegar. Thanks for your answer.

Valued Contributor

@coffee drinker - Looks like everyone has the same idea - vinegar.

I will try it.  Thanks

Respected Contributor

@WORKING GAL wrote:

I have the previous version of this that Mark Charles offered a couple years ago.  The stainless steel plate that you pour the water into has discolored and looks burnt when the eggs are done and the buzzer goes off.  I am using Brita filtered water and using the correct amount of water according to the cup measurements for hard boiled eggs.  Is anyone else having this problem.  I am considering buying this one but want to know if this will be a problem with this model.  TIA

Ditto on the vinegar...I have a Cook's Companion egg maker. The plate is not stainless steel and the vinegar works great.

Esteemed Contributor

I pour vinegar and water on the plate as soon as the eggs are done. Wipe out stuff with no problem. Have the original MCM egg cooker too.

Respected Contributor

I bought two egg cookers, but not from QVC.  They did the same thing, so no more of those egg cookers for me. 

I have a pot with a steamer basket and that's what I steam my eggs in now and it's so much better. 

I put about 1 inch of water in a large pot. Place the steamer insert inside, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat.

Add eggs to steamer basket (single layer), cover, and continue cooking, 6 minutes for soft-boiled eggs or 12 minutes for hard-boiled. 

They come out perfectly right on top of the stove.  I found the information on Food Network.