Respected Contributor

K-43403 Chef 'N Strawberry

[ Edited ]

Anyone have this item?

I really like K-43403 for digging out stems (tomatoes, strawberries), but what else could I use the slicer for besides strawberries & mushrooms (it's kinda small)?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

Re: K-43403 Chef 'N Strawberry

This made Gizmodo's list of  "11 Insanely Specific Kitchen Gadgets."  Their comment::

"Anyone else think a strawberry stem remover might just result in a pint of smashed strawberries?"

And it costs less than half as much on Amazon.

Contributor

Yesterday, I purchased a strawberry slicer and hull remover (both metal) at Bed Bath and Beyond for $5.99 and used a 20% coupon.  It worked great.  Scooped out the hulls and sliced the strawberry perfectly.  Also the slicer has metal blades not plastic.

Trusted Contributor

I do have the "Stem Gem", which is one of the best, if not the best, little gadgets I have ever purchased !!  I don't have the slicer so I have can't comment on that.    

Respected Contributor

I always just use an egg slicer to slice mine..

Respected Contributor

Thanks, ladies.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Valued Contributor

I found a tomato stem puller at TJM last year. Works the same, was about $4, but has a tomato handle instead. I use my egg slicer for slices.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use the pointed end of a flatware teaspoon to de-hull strawberries.  I can zip along and have them done in the time it would take to find a specialty gadget.

If I have a large quantity to slice, I use my old Salad Shooter.  Remember them?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I love this set.  I can clean and slice quarts of strawberries very quickly.  The slicer is great for olives, cherry tomatoes, grapes, etc.  I use those items for presentation for different recipes.  The pieces are uniform which is difficult to do by hand unless you have excellent knife skills or lots of time.  I don't have either of those.

Honored Contributor

For me, this would be one of those useless gadgets.   I think I actually still have an old Tupperware strawberry huller.   But most often I will just use a small paring knife.   You can cut out the core and the leafy part in a hot second, then cut it up with the same knife.   I don't slice them, anyway.  I usually just cut them in halves and quarters with the larger ones.

But, all that said, I never find myself in a situation where I have to hull and cut a ton of strawberries.   I probably never purchase more than 3 or 4 quarts at any given time.   So, I can knock those out in 10 minutes, have them cleaned, and in the L&L container in the refrigerator.  Done and done.  Smiley Happy