Honored Contributor

Just sharing: If you're wanting LNL style glass containers

[ Edited ]

Went to a big Publix food store (I live in FL) walking in there was a large display of BOGO Snapware made by Pyrex style glass containers.  They are similar to glass style offered by LNL.

I have been slowly switching over to glass.  I bought 2 rectangle and 2 medium size bowls.  Sale good til 7/3, I'll try another store as I want 2 smaller bowls.  

Not sure all stores have them but good way to save $.

Honored Contributor

Re: Just sharing: If you're wanting LNL style glass containers

The difference for me is that L&L uses Borosilicate glass which makes them more resistant to thermal shock as in taking from the refrigerator or freezer to oven.  Pyrex brand used to use Borosilicate glass many years ago, but no longer does.  In 1998, Corning, the company which made Pyrex, sold the brand to World Kitchen LLC. World Kitchen decided to stop the manufacture of borosilicate glass, and since then, Pyrex sold in the United States is made of tempered soda-lime glass, which does not handle heat as well as borosilicate glass does. (It may, however, be more resilient to drops.) In 2010, Consumer Reports tested some Pyrex and and found that taking the newer glass out of a hot oven and placing it on a wet granite countertop yielded poor results: the glass shattered almost instantly, and violently so. 

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess 

Wow!!! All these years I've used pyrex (and Corningware -some handed down from my mother).

Thank you for the info but I never freeze things to cook in same vessel.  Years and years ago I did when raising my kids but now I just use for fridge storage.

I'm sure others will appreciate this important info you shared! who knew🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 I probably picked up on it since I have been subscribing to CR for years.  I forgot the name of the glass, but it hit a memory bank when the L&L lady mentioned it.  I don't do much freezer to oven cooking either, but I might take something out of the oven and have nothing but a corian square to put it on, so I wouldn't want to take that chance.  

I suppose you don't make crack either.  That was one of the side effects of Pyrex changing their glass.  The crack makers had to find another source for containers to cook their product in since the method required going quickly from hot to cold or vice versa.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

@homedecor1 I probably picked up on it since I have been subscribing to CR for years.  I forgot the name of the glass, but it hit a memory bank when the L&L lady mentioned it.  I don't do much freezer to oven cooking either, but I might take something out of the oven and have nothing but a corian square to put it on, so I wouldn't want to take that chance.  

I suppose you don't make crack either.  That was one of the side effects of Pyrex changing their glass.  The crack makers had to find another source for containers to cook their product in since the method required going quickly from hot to cold or vice versa.  

@icegodess

Not yet😉 but in the near future I might start making cocktails or smoking since I became President of The Board of Directors in my community😮😮😮

hahaha

Honored Contributor

Oh no!  Not an HOA.  That's a deal-breaker for me.  Personally, I desperately want 20+ wooded acres, but that'll never happen without eliminating my husband.

Regular Contributor

Evine has a couple of glass sets very similar to L&L.  They also showed two glass pans with lid for cooking, looked strange yet very interesting.  Not sure how I would feel putting glass pan filled with corn, soup or stew and being able to watch it cook.  Might provide entertainment!  Looking forward to the L&L glass TSV later this month.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Icegoddess 

Dont get me started on this topic🙄the things I do without thinking it thru!  

Honored Contributor

I wanted to post specs of these containers -- they are Anchor Hocking.

As @Icegoddess pointed out these are not a certain type of glass.

92F06CBF-66BB-410E-B99B-743394874EDC.jpeg

Honored Contributor

I may try a few glass containers from someone as I never microwave in my L & L.  It would save dishwashing.  I once cooked a casserole in a 9 x 13  Pyrex pan and put it on the stovetop to cool.  There was a cool breeze blowing in my open back door and crack !  I won't do that again. At least it wasn't my all-day lasagna.