Super Contributor

Just received my Vitamix, love it but need advice not sure it is working properly.

I was prepared for it to be loud but last night made ice cream, had 2 cups ice in it, but it sounded like a jet was taking off, and my husband both thought it smelled like it was overheated, is this normal?

Honored Contributor

Re: Just received my Vitamix, love it but need advice not sure it is working properly.

Maybe because it is new?  BUT CALL THE COMPANY!   They have good customer service and will answer your questions accurately.  Don't guess about it.

Valued Contributor

Re: Just received my Vitamix, love it but need advice not sure it is working properly.

Sometimes new electronic devices have an odor when used the first time.  Also be sure the ring on the bottom of the blender jar is screwed on tightly and the jar is well seated on the mechanism before you turn it on.  My Vitamix is loud also, I think it's just the nature of the beast, but it is a fantastic machine.  

Respected Contributor

Hmmm: it is loud, but you should not be smelling anything.  Call Customer Service.

A few months ago, my six year old Vitamix started making noise, smelling like burned rubber, and there was black oily goo on the base of the pitcher.  I called CS and they said it was the pitcher.  I thought for sure it was the motor, but they insisted it is a rare occurrence that anything goes wrong with the motor.

They sent me a new pitcher promptly, and that was indeed the problem!  Give them a call.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

Oh, a post script. If you notice, when the VM is being demonstrated, a sound dampening chamber is used so that you can hear the host.  The smell is more of a concern I think. I don't believe there's any fire danger, but until you talk with CS I wouldn't leave it unattended.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

I would call about the smell to be safe but most motors smell hot when they are brand new.  I think it is oil burning off or something like that. It might last a few times and then go away.

Super Contributor

Thanks everyone took your advice and called Vitamix cs, they were very nice and had me to turn machine and she listened said nothing was wrong with it, and  the "hot motor" smell was normal, feel relieved did not want to send back.