Honored Contributor

defrost plate. Watched the video here and bought it from Walmart.

don't like QVC's 'processing' and mailing delays.

I can defrost whole frozen chickens and turkeys faster. Cheaper too at Walmart and free shipping.

Esteemed Contributor

Thaw Express - have had mine since 1985 range and use it constantly b/c I don't know what I want for dinner - - until late afternoon. LOL

I'll have to look at the modern newest ones that you mention.

Back then was seeing them advertised but thought a gimmick until I asked my step-son - who is a metallurgist - he knows metal  phD= a Doc. 

I couldn't run fast enough to buy with his positive feedback.

Honored Contributor

I've always wondered why people who own a microwave would need a defrost plate?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@fthunt I had one in the 1980's and for me it just didn't do a thing.  How are these different?  Isn't it just an aluminum sheet?  Or tray?

Esteemed Contributor

When thawing in microwave - if you apply just the   'right' amount of power it's okay.  If you give meat too much power = it can cook the outer edges of the meat and  also leave meat warm to hot before even beginning the actual cooking process.

#2 - I don't know the metal composition of the thaw plate - the metal draws the frost out of whatever is place on it.

Same thing will happen if you leave a frozen piece of meat - in your sink (metal) - with plastic wrap between meat and sink bottom (just for sanitary purpose).  Sink doesn't work as fast as the thaw tray.

For meat - I hate using the microwave method - am not comfortable with what it does to meat.

Honored Contributor

If you have a T-Fal anything kind of pan it will do the same thing.

I use a round, smooth griddle type pan and it works like a champ.

Best tip I ever learned from my sister.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter 

I have a set of three T-Fal pots that are a million yrs old.

Are you saying if I put something frozen in it...and leave it on the counter, it will defrost faster??

TIA!!

Super Contributor

What is the exact name...I'm unable to find,,,,would like to watch the video....

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@CelticCrafter 

I have a set of three T-Fal pots that are a million yrs old.

Are you saying if I put something frozen in it...and leave it on the counter, it will defrost faster??

TIA!!

I don't know if the higher sides of a pot would prevent it from not working, the griddle is only like an inch high.  I've defrosted blocks of ground beef and turkey in less than 2 hours.  Sausage takes about an hour. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Just ordered a

[ Edited ]

A thick, heavy cast iron pan does the same thing. As the frozen piece of food thaws, the cast iron gets colder and colder as it loses it's heat to the frozen food. You can google that...it's a hack to thaw frozen food.