Honored Contributor

Just my opinion BUT Kansas City Steak gift

Of course, JMO we were gifted Beef Wellington from a friend.

We never eat this nor would order if we go out to fine dining (if there is this anymore😉)

It was just 🤮🤮 -- should have gone with my original plan - 🥡🥢 takeout would have been better & tastier.  

They said to cook 20 minutes well they were just "mush" once taken out and put on plate for serving, the meat inside was mediocre (very small piece3"x 2") mostly pastry & the mushroom filling was terrible (we love mushrooms) seem to think had some type of wine seasoning.

I won't say anything because I'm appreciative of the thought but just letting others know -- might want to stick to the traditional offerings if you're gifting someone.  I love their beef tips & steakburgers which we've been gifted past occasions.

Again, JMO

Trusted Contributor

Re: Just my opinion BUT Kansas City Steak gift

Good to know!  Doesn't  sound good and I won't be buying this.

Regular Contributor

I am sorry you were disappointed with your gift.  In my experience, I have been pleased with everything I purchase from Kansas City Steaks.  I would contact them and provide them the opportunity to correct the issue. 

Honored Contributor

I love beef wellington...there was one restaurant that we would frequent and I always ordered that dish.  It was delicious, then a few years ago we decided to eat there again....they had taken it off the menu and I was so disappointed.  I have not had it since, nor have I seen it on any menu.

@homedecor1    That's to bad what you were gifted was not good..huge waste of money.

Esteemed Contributor

It's not just KS - same with Rastelli.  Cooking from frozen state results in soaked wet pastry....small steaks - mushroom soggy  - etc

To me - this is the worst choice of all steaks.  I ended up removing all the 'garbage'....and just cooking the steak on the grill.

I would advise your 'giver' so you don't get another one next year.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt 

good morning 

the meat piece inside was extremely small and I thought it must be "pre-cooked" as to get thru the pastry.

I would have thought it needed the "full 20 min" as suggested.  

I know ovens fluctuate so I made sure I put a oven thermometer (well I use it even when baking/cooking other things) - the thermometer is new and did read 400 degrees.

I noticed the pastry was "golden brown" at 11 minutes but was concerned the meat would be "rare" --

Thank you for pointing out its just not my observation.  We do not eat prime rib, filet mignon (only out) or alot of meat. 

I would tell the sender BUT it is a relative who does NOT take things well when you point them out to her (although I guess it should be said so we don't get them again - I am certainly NOT UNgrateful she sent them.)  I think they have a corporate account or something because every year (and sometimes anniversary) they send gc from KC.  

Guess I might have to approach the subject as I'm sure they weren't cheap for the garbage tomorrow!  I was going to give the rest to a friend but spouse said "no, they are horrible".

Honored Contributor

that is way too much work to do for being a "gift"and then have it not turn out--- Not impressed with KC anything anyway---My brother sent me a box of meat from Crowd Cow---really delicious meat too--had the NY strip steak for DD and I , it was good sized so we split it, -and I cooked it in my airfryer---was absolutely delicious!!! No fuss ----

Trusted Contributor

Kansas City steaks looked laughable.  Their selection was awful and prices were too high.  Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

Valued Contributor

If you can find a way to both thank the giver and say it must have been a faulty box, or got thawed during transit or something like that, the giver might take it better. Or just thank them and don't worry about it. It is kind of no win with people who are defensive. I would want to know but I would not get defensive if it was yucky so as not to order that again. One time long ago, my ex SIL said something like they don't like people sending them food because their tastes were very different. 

I ordered two fillet roasts from HSN last year and I thought it was so salty and gross. You baked it in the bag and then were supposed to fry it in a little oil to make the outside brown.That was a huge mess on the stove. Well, I can make a great roast myself without frying it in a little oil to make it look right - and I got sucked into the sales pitch and promise of these roasts. You got two for the freezer and I hated both. Taught me a lesson. 

Honored Contributor

I would just contact the company if the giver of the gift is uncomfortable to deal with.  So sorry.