Frequent Contributor

Just made a big ole pot of vegetable soup!

Used my handy dandy dicer/slicer gizmo on carrots, celery, and potatoes. Made it so easy! 

I love that gadget!

dragonfly

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Just made a big ole pot of vegetable soup!

Yummy!! Sounds delicious 😋!!

Respected Contributor

I'm waaaaaaaaaaaay overdue in making my veggie soup.  I freeze a lot.  It's good for lunches, or a small snack if I'm hungry before supper.  Much healthier than most snacks!  Thanks for the reminder @dragonflyveb

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Valued Contributor

DragonFly, you're making me hungry! Do you have a favorite recipe for your vegetable soup?

Frequent Contributor

I brown some stew beef in olive oil, then add a bottle of V-8 (spicy is good), some sliced carrots and celery, plus a big can of diced tomatoes. About 2 cups of water as well. Depending on what I have around, I add barley, potatoes and/or cabbage. Salt and pepper to taste. If you like bay, throw in a couple bay leaves.

Simmer for a good hour until the vegetables aand meat are tender.

Add frozen peas and frozen corn. The hot soup will cook them without making them overdone.

Soup can be made vegetarian by skipping the beef and adding a couple cans of beans. As you can tell, I don’t have a strict recipe. It just depends on what I have in the fridge!

I freeze extra soup in lock n lock containers. Tastes just as good as fresh.

Enjoy,

Dragonfly

Valued Contributor

I think I could use some of that today, been raining for days! Sounds delicious.

Esteemed Contributor

my favorite

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

my favorite meal

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

I do the same as @dragonflyveb, but I add green peas or corn, plus okra and onions!  I cook the potatoes when we eat and pour the soup over the cooked potatoes.

Potatoes that have been refrigerated have a "mealy" texture unless it's a twice baked potato with butter and sour cream.

Trusted Contributor

It's 95 degrees here today, so no soup-making. We are above normal temps (should be 84) and I'm into sandwiches and salads, with maybe some shrimp cocktail.