Honored Contributor

Re: Just No No No Halloween Candy

Can you spell "preservatives?"

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Giving out candy at Halloween is a ritual that should stop! It is equivalent to passing  out cigarettes, heroin, a few pain pills, maybe a few small handguns, and a little germy Covid to boot - in kids' Halloween bags. Sugar is deadly....and not just because it makes you fat. Sugar consumption is related to a whole litany of horrible health outcomes.I can't - in good faith - give people candy when I know it is harmful.

@Goldengate8361 So I'm taking it you're THAT house that hands out toothbrushes? lol

Trusted Contributor

To keep the sugar stuff away from ME, I have, in the past, given out pretzels, nuts, those light wands, etc. After last year, I don't think I will decorate for Halloween again this year and just be grouchy and leave the lights off. I don't want that many people coming to my house.

Esteemed Contributor

I think the passing out candy is such a waste even though it is fun for the kids.

My daughter ends up throwing most of it out. Eveyone picks their favorite and then the rest just sits in a bowl until they get tired of looking at it.

People used to bring their leftover candy to work...but Covid put a stop to that.

I see so much wasted money going in the trash...

Respected Contributor

Oh come on, trick-or-treating is such a fun thing for kids to look forward to- it's not just about the candy, it's about dressing up also.

I would never want to take that away from kids!

One day of candy is not going to hurt anyone. (Unless you're diabetic). Just let the kids eat a few of their favorites, then if you don't want them to eat the rest just toss it or donate it.

Honored Contributor

I bet some of you are a real blast at parties.  

Esteemed Contributor

Never thought I'd see a thread about Halloween candy and handguns together. 

Regular Contributor

Goldengate you're a true Californian.........nuts!

Regular Contributor

Goldengate you are going overboard.  Yes too much sugar can be bad but comparing it to handing out heroin, pain pills, khand guns is radical.  

Respected Contributor

@STYLE wrote:

Goldengate you are going overboard.  Yes too much sugar can be bad but comparing it to handing out heroin, pain pills, khand guns is radical.  

@STYLE No kidding! Everybody I knew went trick-or-treating when we were kids yet we somehow managed to survive the horrors of the nightmare Snickers bar et al.