Respected Contributor

Re: Just Enjoyed Delicious Homemade Greek Pork Gyros Souvlaki withTzatziki Sauce

On 2/2/2015 Marienkaefer2 said: Adore, I forgot to mention, I made the Greek lemon potatoes as well. One of my family has celiac, so she could not eat the pita bread, so I made extra potatoes. Everything was so good and I look forward to trying more. Thanks for posting this website, and keep posting delicious things for us to try! Smiley Happy Happy Monday!

Wonderful!

Making the Greek Lemon potatoes with the Souvlaki sandwiches was a great idea.

So glad everyone enjoyed the Greek foods.

Enjoy the web site posted and I will keep posting recipes as I usually do for all my QVC pals.

Have a great week, and take care.

Respected Contributor

Re: Just Enjoyed Delicious Homemade Greek Pork Gyros Souvlaki withTzatziki Sauce

On 2/2/2015 Hooty said:

Love, love, love Greek food, especially after living in Crete, Greece for 2 yrs.! Where do you get your pita bread, I just cannot ever find the kind that is good like they serve in the Greek restaurants!

Hi Hooty,

Many Greek recipe web sites have recipes to make home made Greek pita bread.

Also specialty Greek, Arabic, Turkish, Lebanese, and other European type specialty stores, as well as grocers, and supermarkets all carry pita breads.

There are many types, and they usually come a grouping to a package.

Thick pita bread you fold in 1/2.

Thinner pita bread with a slit for the inside pocket you can stuff with Souvlaki, gyro meat, or anything else you care to eat.

There are many choices Hooty, and I hope you find one to make you happy.

Enjoy, and I hope you also try the Souvlaki recipes I posted above.

Valued Contributor

Adore, I am making this today. I didn't end up making this sunday like I originally planned. The meat has been marinating since Sunday evening, hope it isn't too long.

I told my daughter in law that I would bring this over around 5 today. Should I bring all the ingredients, (tomato, red onion, meat, and yogurt sauce, and pitas brushed with oil and let them warm the bread and assemble themselves?) I have never made anything like this before, and figure that you will know what to tell me.

Edited to add: I re read your original reply to me and see what pan you used to cook this in.

Valued Contributor

Adore, I made this and WOW, is it delicious. It turned out great- I did the meat in a few batches so that it browned nicely. If anyone is on the fence about trying this recipe, please try it-it is not difficult, and so so good.

Respected Contributor

On 2/3/2015 rosehill said:

Adore, I made this and WOW, is it delicious. It turned out great- I did the meat in a few batches so that it browned nicely. If anyone is on the fence about trying this recipe, please try it-it is not difficult, and so so good.

Hi rosehill,

So sorry I was not logged on earlier to answer your other thread.

Thanks rosehill for posting your final results, and I am so pleased you and your family liked the Souvlaki recipe, even after the slightly longer marination, which in my pro opinion only enhances the flavors.

I agree it is not difficult and is really delicious, so I again encourage our QVC pals to try either Souvlaki recipe, and lamb is also delicious in this type of Greek Souvlaki dish.

Super Contributor

Thanks so much for the link to the web site. I'm Greek and I make a version of souvlaki that we like, but frankly this one looks even better! I love the fact that so many Greek dishes are made with lemon and olive oil - two of my favorite things. I do not like feta or lamb, however. My dad used to joke that I couldn't really be Greek if I didn't eat feta. The Greeks put feta on everything!

Respected Contributor

On 2/3/2015 ZoetheCat said:

Thanks so much for the link to the web site. I'm Greek and I make a version of souvlaki that we like, but frankly this one looks even better! I love the fact that so many Greek dishes are made with lemon and olive oil - two of my favorite things. I do not like feta or lamb, however. My dad used to joke that I couldn't really be Greek if I didn't eat feta. The Greeks put feta on everything!

Hi ZoetheCat,

You are most welcome for the Greek web site link.

I am also glad you liked the Souvlaki recipes I posted above.

Yes I agree that Greeks are very well known for their love of Olive Oil and Lemon usage.

Nice to meet another Greek gal, and I am happy you liked the Greek Food web site I recommended. It is a great Greek web site, and the instruction video's help many also learn to master Greek cooking and baking.

I can understand why your Dad would joke about you're not really being Greek since you did not eat FetaSmiley Happy.

Yes Greeks usually acquire a taste for Greek Feta and Lamb from a very young age, and as such develop a true love for both.

Of course all foods are a personal preference, but I really love Greek Feta made and imported directly from Greece, and sold in a large round dark barrel filled with brine.

I only buy Greek Feta from authentic Greek specialty stores and love that I get a taste of all the Greek cheeses I buy which encourages me to buy more.

I especially love the Greek Kalamata Olives stuffed with Feta Cheese and sold by the pound.....My husband, friends, family, and guests of all nationalities love them too.

I look forward to interacting again ZoetheCat, and until then take care.

Super Contributor

I look forward to posting with you as well, adoreqvc. I'm new to the boards and still trying to navigate my way around. I'm sort of terrified of starting a post on my own. How silly is that! I'll get the hang of it eventually.

I know what you mean about the feta. My late dad would only buy the imported variety, never domestic. For me, it didn't matter. I just didn't get the feta gene. Now, if you give me some moussaka, I'm a happy girl. Anything with eggplant is a winner in my book Smile

Honored Contributor

I can't pronounce it but it looks tzatziki scrumptious.

Respected Contributor

On 2/4/2015 ZoetheCat said:

I look forward to posting with you as well, adoreqvc. I'm new to the boards and still trying to navigate my way around. I'm sort of terrified of starting a post on my own. How silly is that! I'll get the hang of it eventually.

I know what you mean about the feta. My late dad would only buy the imported variety, never domestic. For me, it didn't matter. I just didn't get the feta gene. Now, if you give me some moussaka, I'm a happy girl. Anything with eggplant is a winner in my book Smile

Hi Zoe,

Posting on these QVC forums is easy, and I am sure you will get plenty nice replies and make many wonderful, respectful, kind, caring and helpful QVC pals here......if not just hit the ignore or report inappropriate button. For the most part you may never need to use them, but if you do it is nice to know they are there.

About the Feta and Lamb..........Zoe we can’t all love everything and every type of food, even if it is something very well loved amongst many in our own culture.

I am Greek American and never liked nor tasted Mya-la, Pat-sas, Kok-or-et-si, May-ir-it-sa, or Trah-a-na.

I was always encouraged to try these Greek foods..... but always ran for the hills. (That reaction usually caused an abundance of joyous laughter).

Relatives here and abroad all love/loved those Greek traditional foods we don’t care for, but like they say “different strokes, for different folks”.

My Grandmothers both were full fledged Greek gals, and my beloved Mother was Greek-American.

They all cooked such labor intensive complicated Greek dishes, and I learned how to cook many Greek foods just watching at first, and then being encouraged to join in and try, and it was fun!

We grew up vacationing in many parts of Greece, every chance we could get. We were blessed to have large families, properties, and businesses.

My Greek relatives also loved coming over and staying for a while.

They enjoyed the States, but always missed home....My Mom's Mother ended up coming over and living with us until she passed. We felt very blessed to have had her with us for so many years. She was so kind, loving, and wise beyond words.

We rolled home made phyllo dough by hand....a feat which is so labor intensive and exhausting, but those Greek desserts called Diples (Honey Rolls) were unbelievable, as were the Loukoumades (Honey Puffs). Plus the interaction was fabulous!

Wow..... am I getting hungry for them now!!

I truly miss those loves of mine, and those great times we all had together. Now they are such precious treasured memories. "Thanks Zoe for allowing me to re-live them with you".

All our Greek cooking was enacted strictly by all the senses.... eyesight, aroma, touch, texture and taste. We never measured anything, and the end results were always delicious.

We all cooked from memory, which is truly how I also learned to cook at a very early age by watching them, and then being encouraged with love and jokes to join in. When I was very young I learned standing by the side of, or sitting in the laps of, the best of the best!

Many of these foods were created during Easter and other Holidays, and served extremely large quantities at tremendous Greek and non Greek gatherings. There was always such a variety and abundance to choose from.....all prepared with wisdom, kindness, jokes, Greek wines, and much love.

It has been great cyber chatting again with you Zoe.

Have a lovely safe week, and I hope we cyber chat again, real soon.

Until then join in, have fun posting, happy cooking, and happy eating!

P.S. Zoe you are welcome to come join me on my new kitchen & Food Talk thread I posted, and add your food likes and dislikes, if you so desire. I added mine and they are typical Greek traditional foods many love, but I really dislike intensely{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}.