Respected Contributor

Re: Just Bought My First Piece of Fiestaware

And last, but definitely not least, our co-host. She looked a lot happier when the hat came off.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

3d

What lovely table scape. That lemon trifle looks so good. What all did you put in it.? Kitty, does indeed looked a little miffed. I bet when she was posing for pictures she was thinking of ripping all your eyeballs out!! Hahah

Honored Contributor

On 12/27/2014 3dlovely said:

And last, but definitely not least, our co-host. She looked a lot happier when the hat came off.

I am enjoying kitty's picture. Made my day! Her eyes look so green. I showed my husband and the first words were, "oh, she doesn't look to happy". Hahaha, what we put our beloved animals through.

Respected Contributor

Hey Shoekitty -- I do get a giggle when I take a look at that picture. Your DH must think I'm nuts!

You asked what I put in the lemon trifle -- I started out by making a lemon pound cake and then some lemon sugar cookies. I wasn't quite sure what to put in between, so I made the base for a lemon meringue pie and I also made some lemon pudding; however, I made it with heavy cream so it got almost like a lemon flavored heavy whipped cream. I layered all that and finished off with some Cool Whip. Everyone loved it because it wasn't real sweet.

Our dinner was extremely rich, so finishing it off with this trifle was very refreshing.

Honored Contributor

Making the lemon pudding with heavy cream sounds really good. Did you use any juice? How did you layer it.> That is where I get confused. Sometimes the trifle gets too dry, and sometimes it is too juicy. Getting it just right is hard

Respected Contributor

No -- I didn't use any juice. When I made the lemon filling, I poured it while it was still somewhat warm on the pound cake. The pound cake was my bottom layer, then the lemon filling, then the lemon pudding, then the lemon sugar cookies, then more of the lemon filling to soften the cookies. I then started a second layer of all the same except the cookies. Unfortunately, there wasn't enough because my husband and I ate too many in the days leading up to Christmas! They were really good and easy and we couldn't stop at just one. At least there was enough for one layer in the trifle. I finished it all off with the Cool Whip.

The cookies were made with a box of cake mix. When I was reading the recipe, it said you could use any kind of box cake mix. If you use a chocolate one, you can use vanilla extract. I bet strawberry or orange would be good too.

If anyone is interested, here is the recipe:

• 1 box lemon cake mix
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon lemon extract
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup sugar (for rolling)
  • Heat oven to 350°F (325°F for dark or nonstick pans). In large bowl, mix cake mix, oil, lemon extract and eggs with spoon until dough forms.
  • Refrigerate dough 15 to 30 minutes or as needed for easier handling. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in sugar. On ungreased cookie sheets, place balls about 2 inches apart.
  • Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until set. Cool 1 minute; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks. Cool completely, about 30 minutes. Store tightly covered.
Honored Contributor

3d

Ohhhh, that sounds good. Somehow I was thinking the lemon cookies were crispy. I was thinking crispy cookies would need juice, or something to moisten the mixture. I love those cookies. My daughter makes them with white or yellow mix, she then adds sugar or those confetti things on top. The cookies are good. Addictive is right.

The idea of the warm lemon filling is a great idea! I think I may try this combination of ingredients. I really love the idea of the lemon pudding with whip cream. YUM. I have tried that idea with chocolate pudding, and it was like eating mousse!

( ordered a Juniors lemon/coconut cheesecake. It is refreshing as well. Heavy as cheesecake is, the lemon just brightens and lightens the taste. Juniors has a thin layer of yellow cake, some lemon filling, then about 2 inches of lemon cheesecake, filling and cake again. it has somekind of buttercream frosted all over top and sides, then COCONUT....oh my it is soooooo good

Trusted Contributor

Hi, everyone!

3dlovely, I love your pictures of your pretty table! Love your tablecloth and your color combination. Thanks so much for sharing with all of us! I love the candy canes. I also love your picture of your lemon trifle. It looks delicious! I love lemon. I saved your cookie recipe. I think I have one similar. I think I could also use a sugar-free cake mix.

Kitty is adorable, and you are getting that look that only a kitty can give, lol.

imashopper,

I look forward to hearing about your sale finds at Dillard's!

Shoekitty & donasmom,

I loved reading your list of title suggestions. They are all great, but I think the one that takes the prize is Still Buying Fiestaware! Love it, love it. But, maybe our thread will not go away. That would be nice.

donasmom,

Your juniper sounds wonderful! Oh, and your shamrock mug too. Juniper must be so hard to find. You have some good shoppers in your family.

I received a flamingo spoon rest. I love it. Also a couple more individual casserole dishes and a Sunflower java mug.

RainGirl,

How did your niece & daughter like their gifts? I bet they were thrilled.

I enjoyed catching up here and reading the posts from All of You!

Trusted Contributor

3d,

I forgot to mention something to you. I recently saw a picture someone posted on a facebook page and they put the entertaining set on a larger tray. It looks to me like they used a fiesta 15-inch tray. It looks so nice! Do you have a 15-inch tray? You may like to try your set on that sometime and see if you like it. Of course if the tray is tipped, the pieces may slide, but it sure looks nice to me. They used the set for fruit & granola. Different berries in each section, granola in the center, and separately had a jumbo cup with yogurt. So cute.

Respected Contributor

Ocean - I do have a white 15-inch tray. I am going to have to figure out where I put it. I wonder if I put some drawer liner under the omni trays. I have some rubber-type liner that makes a non-skid surface. Hmmmm -- I have to find that too.

When I get this all together, I will be sure to take a pic. Thanks for the idea.