Honored Contributor

Re: July is here everyone - What's Cooking at your House?

Not much cooking going on here. Eating a lot of cold foods - sandwiches, salads etc. I hate to fight the AC by heating up the house cooking.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Have ceiling fans in every room except the kitchen and bathroom. Also have a window fan in the room Davey and Ricky share - trying to get Davey to do the windows correctly in this heat/humidity is a lost cause.  It truly helps if you close the window where the sun comes in, pull the shade and put your thick drapes over it - it helps Then keep that window open when it . Ricky usually sleeps in the living room these days. LOL

The humidity is the killer and now we have a big fire very close to us which makes it all so much worse. 600 homes threatened. Most of these fires are set, whether by accident or otherwise and in this case hey nabbed the suspect already. Thank you Lord - what a horrible thing to do 

Suppose to be a couple degrees cooler tomorrow - har de har. The temp is not the devil it is the mugginess - hard to breathe and to think our weather use to be super dry - I can handle 120 very easy if the air is dry and not muggy. Use to be that way.

Stay cool

@Winifred  Yes, I grew up in dry heat, but humidity has arrived here this year, not nearly as much as in past years, last year we had none, and nowhere near what you are experiencing.

I have oscilating fans, even the small are powerful, work much better than my ceiling fans as I need cool air on me, otherwise I could not bear the heat..

Honored Contributor

Meals here this week has meant eating leftover stuffed peppers and pulled pork, although we did have pizza and wings, which have also been leftover snacks and lunches.    Tonight I’m grilling ham slices and doing smashed potatoes, along with a tomato and cucumber salad which is a favorite from Cracker Barrel.      

It is 79 degrees here in southern West Virginia, nice warm, sunny afternoon.   Very comfortable outside on the front porch.   Our chance for rain is less today, but still possible.  We had 2 short downpours yesterday.      

Respected Contributor

Made it in yesterday for my bronchoscopy - miserably long time as they would not release me until my intake of oxygen increased. Long story short they sent me home with a tank -- have a collection of those things and I cannot use them. Have been trying miserably for the small portable concentrator and so far that has been impossible to obtain. If you were using them three years ago there would be no problems. Insurance and Medicare have stopped providing them for new users. Dumbest thing I ever heard of as I cannot manage the tanks for several reasons and I understand I am in the majority on that so they stopped providing them. Yes, you can go buy one if you have an extra couple grand hanging around. Do not know the results but they used a couple extra procedures than I have had in the past and I know it. am so tired can hardly move. 

Heat is continuing on with the thick air. It is fine right now  but in about an hour the nasty air will show up - just miserable and they have extended it through next Wednesday or Thursday. Was suppose to end this past Wednesday or Thursday, and then on Friday - nope, keeps coming.

I had for dinner a cut up fresh tomato - so very good - also had some white cheese crackers and cut up a great avocado smashed up with the crackers. Healthy if not kind of a weird combo.

Hope all have a great day.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred,

Sending you best wishes with the results of your bronchoscopy.   Do hope your results lead to an effective treatment that gives you relief.  

Husband and I are home alone this weekend, so I’m cooking a pot of beans; mixed pinto and great northerns, and am cooking with a piece of salt pork.   Our go withs will be cornbread, wilted lettuce and onions, and jalapeño chow chow.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

@Winifred,

Sending you best wishes with the results of your bronchoscopy.   Do hope your results lead to an effective treatment that gives you relief.  

Husband and I are home alone this weekend, so I’m cooking a pot of beans; mixed pinto and great northerns, and am cooking with a piece of salt pork.   Our go withs will be cornbread, wilted lettuce and onions, and jalapeño chow chow.

@RedTop  May I come to dinner, lol, sounds wonderful!  How do you make the jalapeno chow-chow?

Honored Contributor

Our weather is not quite as hot the past few days so I'm cooking white chicken chili that I serve over rice. 

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl,

Absolutely, I’ll set another plate; we have plenty!   

I’ve been cooking beans for 43 years, and finally cooked a pot I think would make my Papaw proud!   He was the master bean cooker in my mom’s family; no one cooked beans that even came close to matching his.   His big secret was to add sugar near the end of the cooking time, when you are thickening the soup.   About a tablespoon will do it, but it sure makes a difference.

As for the jalapeño chow chow, my trucker daughter buys quart jars of this at a market in N.C.    She alternates between the hot and spicy, and the jalapeno, which brings  out sweat on the brow, and a tingle to the lips, which is how we like it.   We don’t garden on a big scale anymore, so we don’t raise the cabbage, peppers, onions, carrots, etc. to make the traditional end of the season batch of chow chow.   

Respected Contributor

have COPD and that is not curable - my MD says what is growing in my lungs is probably cancer - that is not good either but at least I will know what it is. Heck to get old but have been so very fortunate health wise most of my life!!!

Still horribly hot here.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

have COPD and that is not curable - my MD says what is growing in my lungs is probably cancer - that is not good either but at least I will know what it is. Heck to get old but have been so very fortunate health wise most of my life!!!

Still horribly hot here.

@Winifred  I don't understand why some doctor couldn't solve this years ago, which is why I don't trust the medical profession at face value.  I hope all goes well for you, and that it is not cancer.