Respected Contributor

Re: July is here everyone - What's Cooking at your House?

john was allways very close with his mom.they allways came for dinner every satauday and sometimes sundays.anna would send food up to us. i think it started when maria was in the hospital. now we go down to. actually there last name is matrullo. pooky is a nick name maria gave me a long time ago and it stuck. she called me at work one time and asked to speak to pooky and for awhile i was called that at the super market to.next month will be 4 years that i have been on disability due to having ms. eating dinner in the afternoon has been going very well. my last doctors appointment he was happy to see that i dropped 20 pounds. he said what ever your doing is working.today maria made chickpea and fresh tomato salad with tomatoes and basil from garden with  olive oil salt black pepper and put it over  italian bread and a peice of fried chicken on the side. it was very good and fresh.  not so humid today and temps in the 80s. hope everyone has a great week.

Respected Contributor

@RedTop wrote:

Meals here this week has meant eating leftover stuffed peppers and pulled pork, although we did have pizza and wings, which have also been leftover snacks and lunches.    Tonight I’m grilling ham slices and doing smashed potatoes, along with a tomato and cucumber salad which is a favorite from Cracker Barrel.      

It is 79 degrees here in southern West Virginia, nice warm, sunny afternoon.   Very comfortable outside on the front porch.   Our chance for rain is less today, but still possible.  We had 2 short downpours yesterday.      

@RedTop-----everything about your food screams comfort and safety.....your family is very fortunate. Were I to be invited for a meal, I would probably never want to leave especially if you threw in cold, home brewed sweet tea.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Danky wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Winifred wrote:

Pooky1, you stay busy for sure. Already have those great veggies - good for you!. Priority to me would be those tomatoes - so many months out of the year I do not eat them because they are not "real" tomatoes. Usually can find some home grown but there are times you cannot . Absolutely will NOT eat tomatoes from big box grocery stores - they are NOT real tomatoes. No taste and certainly not the tomato smell. Sigh.

They now say the heat is extending into next week - it has been terrible - worse I can remember since coming to California in 1960.

I had another weird mixture for my dinner last night --- just not up to cooking or even warming up. Had some cut up melon, remaining sweet cherry tomatoes and the last ice cream sandwich. Slept pretty well but continue to wake up every couple hours. Grrrr - wish I could return to sleeping all night long. Suspect those days are gone.

Stay cool everyone.

@Winifred  Andrew Lessman has a product Night time, which I now take.  It relaxes one and sleep follows.  It does not make one groggy, but the best quality is that before taking it when I would get up and go back to bed, I would lie awake for hours, now I go back to sleep soon afterward.  It as an extra ingredient which along with the melatonin in it, does the trick, melatonin alone did nothing for me.  I am no longer sleep deprived, except once in a while I have a sleepless night, but 99% improved over before.

@mousiegirl---------I am a big proponent of Lessman, also. I had forgotten about Digest Assure ,until your reminder, so I got some for "those days" and 

I keep the Night Time for the same reason. I love the Urgent Energy.....have been using his products since QVC days......My DH swore by his glucosamine/chondroitin(sp?) and used it for years and one of the kids has a chronic B-12 deficiency and his brand is the only one that elevates and stabilizes his level.

@Danky  I credit the glusosamine/condroitin with giving me pain free knees and no more clicking, and am hoping against hope that I will never have to have knee surgery.

Are you enjoying your summer, silly question, lol.  I have recently taken to eating the Haagen Dazs strawberry, still love the run raisin.

My DH felt the same way that you do re: g/c......I am sort of enjoying the summer. For some reason, after all these years, I am particularly missing Alex and my melancholy has disturbed the rhythm of the days.

The strawberry HD IS yummy......I had a vanilla cone from Burger King the other day and it was surprisingly delicious. 

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Danky wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I was hungry for pot roast so that's what I made today. We will eat leftovers Mon. Making bbq boneless country style ribs with corn on the cob on the grill tomorrow.

Too funny......I have been obsessed with the idea of pot roast but have been too inundated with seafood, too hot and too lazy to make it happen. That changes this week.....love leftovers !

@Danky

It's so easy using the crockpot when it's so hot. We both wanted some yummy pot roast after eating dinner over at his moms when his sister was in town. The pot roast she made was so dry I had to drink a lot of water with each bite just to swallow it. I did not know someone could ruin a pot roast. LOL!!!

Will be eating the rest of the pot roast tonight with gravy, potatoes & carrots.

I'm making bourbon chicken in the crockpot tomorrow

@Nightowlz------OMG.....too funny ! I agree....I would have thought it was impossible to ruin or dry out a pot roast !

I don't have a crockpot but I saw a combo thingie on sale for $49 (6 qt) that does browning, pressure cooker, slow cooker ,etc and I think I will order it.

Bourbon chicken sounds delish.....if you have the time or inclination , I don't need a recipe but a general overview of how you prepare it.

I WANT YOUR LEFTOVERS FOR DINNER TONIGHT.......WAHHHHHH

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pooky1-------your post sounds like you are a little annoyed with me. I am very, very sorry if I posted anything that was offensive. You are the last person I would want to ******-off.

I knew that Pooky was your nickname and that was my feeble attempt at humor.

Great news about your weight loss and today's meal sounds wonderful.

So much cooking talent under one roof !

I am going to cook this afternoon.....sautéed shrimp with mushrooms , onions, garlic and fresh spinach and a sour cream sauce over rice. 

Running out to the farm stand now to get some local slicing tomatoes and cukes for a side. 

ETA---did you hear that a great white shark was caught in my "front yard" ?

Off of Misquamicut Beach in Westerly about 3 miles down the coast line.

Respected Contributor

no danky i wasnt annoyed with you at all.  i missed that you were joking. i joke all the time but i dont allways catch it. and by typing and texting cant allways tell.  i bust my wifes chops all the time. i allways tell her. you have no sence of humor. and she tells me i must have some sence of humor. im married to. lololol. and other stuff that i could never write on here. 

Honored Contributor

@Danny,
There is never a day that you won't find sweet tea in this house! Thank you for your kind words; I still don't see myself as a "good" cook. I have just learned to cook the way my family likes.

I heard my trucker daughter jokingly ask her boyfriend if he loved her, or if he kept coming around because of my cooking! He played along and said he comes for the food, and the homemade desserts!
Respected Contributor

good morning everyone. cloudy and muggy out today and possible thunder storms today. i love watching a thunder storm but maria and our dog hates them as this house got struck by lightning when maria was a kid.yestauday maria made chowder with corn green garden squash bacon carrots onion celery. it was very good and we had saltine crackers with it. hope everyone has a great day.

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

good morning everyone. cloudy and muggy out today and possible thunder storms today. i love watching a thunder storm but maria and our dog hates them as this house got struck by lightning when maria was a kid.yestauday maria made chowder with corn green garden squash bacon carrots onion celery. it was very good and we had saltine crackers with it. hope everyone has a great day.

@Pooky1--------I had to be at URI very early this morning and when I was finished my business I was starving. I stopped at Panera and got a bowl of summer corn chowder.......It was very good but not as good as Maria's I am certain. How are you liking your air fryer ?

Respected Contributor

danky so far its good. we ordered a blue jean chef air fryer cookbook and received it yestauday from amazon for 17 bucks. lots of great recipes and alot of tips and cooking times on cooking meats frozen and baking. anyone with an air fryer should invest in it.  maria made brownies cinnimon buns toast and toasted italiad buns to go in tomato and chickpea salad. i havnt used it yet but she allready loves it. and she hasnt used our toaster since we got it. she spent time writing more menus and now she knows what she cooking from now to the middle of january.  shes clearly the organized person in this relationship.