Honored Contributor

Re: July is here everyone - What's Cooking at your House?

I was hungry for pot roast so that's what I made today. We will eat leftovers Mon. Making bbq boneless country style ribs with corn on the cob on the grill tomorrow.

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone. today is cooler with alittle less humidity. yestauday even though it was hot and humid still went out and pulled weeds and ran string from poles in garden for cucumbers to climb on. we have allready picked tomatoes cucumbers stringbeans swiss chard. pool wasnt right with ground totally not level so i drained it again and had ground leveled out with sand and now its much better, after weeding i went in pool tp cool off. yestauday we ate downstairs with anna john and his kids. she made pasta meatballs. chicken wings potatoes stringbeans and potato salad mixed. and calzones. swiss chard and ham and cheese and more. you all have made alot of good food. hope everyone has a great week.

Respected Contributor

Pooky1, you stay busy for sure. Already have those great veggies - good for you!. Priority to me would be those tomatoes - so many months out of the year I do not eat them because they are not "real" tomatoes. Usually can find some home grown but there are times you cannot . Absolutely will NOT eat tomatoes from big box grocery stores - they are NOT real tomatoes. No taste and certainly not the tomato smell. Sigh.

They now say the heat is extending into next week - it has been terrible - worse I can remember since coming to California in 1960.

I had another weird mixture for my dinner last night --- just not up to cooking or even warming up. Had some cut up melon, remaining sweet cherry tomatoes and the last ice cream sandwich. Slept pretty well but continue to wake up every couple hours. Grrrr - wish I could return to sleeping all night long. Suspect those days are gone.

Stay cool everyone.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Pooky1, you stay busy for sure. Already have those great veggies - good for you!. Priority to me would be those tomatoes - so many months out of the year I do not eat them because they are not "real" tomatoes. Usually can find some home grown but there are times you cannot . Absolutely will NOT eat tomatoes from big box grocery stores - they are NOT real tomatoes. No taste and certainly not the tomato smell. Sigh.

They now say the heat is extending into next week - it has been terrible - worse I can remember since coming to California in 1960.

I had another weird mixture for my dinner last night --- just not up to cooking or even warming up. Had some cut up melon, remaining sweet cherry tomatoes and the last ice cream sandwich. Slept pretty well but continue to wake up every couple hours. Grrrr - wish I could return to sleeping all night long. Suspect those days are gone.

Stay cool everyone.

@Winifred  Andrew Lessman has a product Night time, which I now take.  It relaxes one and sleep follows.  It does not make one groggy, but the best quality is that before taking it when I would get up and go back to bed, I would lie awake for hours, now I go back to sleep soon afterward.  It as an extra ingredient which along with the melatonin in it, does the trick, melatonin alone did nothing for me.  I am no longer sleep deprived, except once in a while I have a sleepless night, but 99% improved over before.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Winifred wrote:

Stay cool everyone.

@Winifred  Andrew Lessman has a product Night time, which I now take.  It relaxes one and sleep follows.  It does not make one groggy, but the best quality is that before taking it when I would get up and go back to bed, I would lie awake for hours, now I go back to sleep soon afterward.  It as an extra ingredient which along with the melatonin in it, does the trick, melatonin alone did nothing for me.  I am no longer sleep deprived, except once in a while I have a sleepless night, but 99% improved over before.

@mousiegirl---------I am a big proponent of Lessman, also. I had forgotten about Digest Assure ,until your reminder, so I got some for "those days" and 

I keep the Night Time for the same reason. I love the Urgent Energy.....have been using his products since QVC days......My DH swore by his glucosamine/chondroitin(sp?) and used it for years and one of the kids has a chronic B-12 deficiency and his brand is the only one that elevates and stabilizes his level.

Respected Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

I was hungry for pot roast so that's what I made today. We will eat leftovers Mon. Making bbq boneless country style ribs with corn on the cob on the grill tomorrow.

Too funny......I have been obsessed with the idea of pot roast but have been too inundated with seafood, too hot and too lazy to make it happen. That changes this week.....love leftovers !

Respected Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

good morning everyone. today is cooler with alittle less humidity. yestauday even though it was hot and humid still went out and pulled weeds and ran string from poles in garden for cucumbers to climb on. we have allready picked tomatoes cucumbers stringbeans swiss chard. pool wasnt right with ground totally not level so i drained it again and had ground leveled out with sand and now its much better, after weeding i went in pool tp cool off. yestauday we ate downstairs with anna john and his kids. she made pasta meatballs. chicken wings potatoes stringbeans and potato salad mixed. and calzones. swiss chard and ham and cheese and more. you all have made alot of good food. hope everyone has a great week.

@Pooky1------how are all you pookys doing ? Loved your excitement and telling of the church fair........brought me right back there.

Has Anna gotten closer to John since Mr.Pooky Sr. died ? It seems they come around more which is great. The food that gets prepared over there is so plentiful and makes my mouth water. Her one day of cooking would keep me going for a week........How is your big meal mid day going ? Glad you finally got the pool right......this is certainly the summer where it would get some use.

Respected Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Not much cooking going on here. Eating a lot of cold foods - sandwiches, salads etc. I hate to fight the AC by heating up the house cooking.

@151949-------summer is the only time of year that I manage to use a whole loaf of bread before it becomes seagull food ! 

Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Winifred wrote:

Stay cool everyone.

@mousiegirl---------I am a big proponent of Lessman, also. I had forgotten about Digest Assure ,until your reminder, so I got some for "those days" and 

I keep the Night Time for the same reason. I love the Urgent Energy.....have been using his products since QVC days......My DH swore by his glucosamine/chondroitin(sp?) and used it for years and one of the kids has a chronic B-12 deficiency and his brand is the only one that elevates and stabilizes his level.

@Danky  I credit the glusosamine/condroitin with giving me pain free knees and no more clicking, and am hoping against hope that I will never have to have knee surgery.

Are you enjoying your summer, silly question, lol.  I have recently taken to eating the Haagen Dazs strawberry, still love the run raisin.

Honored Contributor

@Danky wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

Too funny......I have been obsessed with the idea of pot roast but have been too inundated with seafood, too hot and too lazy to make it happen. That changes this week.....love leftovers !

@Danky

It's so easy using the crockpot when it's so hot. We both wanted some yummy pot roast after eating dinner over at his moms when his sister was in town. The pot roast she made was so dry I had to drink a lot of water with each bite just to swallow it. I did not know someone could ruin a pot roast. LOL!!!

Will be eating the rest of the pot roast tonight with gravy, potatoes & carrots.

I'm making bourbon chicken in the crockpot tomorrow.