Honored Contributor

Re: July is here everyone - What's Cooking at your House?

@Pooky1 wrote:

good morning everyone. cloudy muggy and rainy. well the feast is over. its a little sad to look out to see an allmost empty field after all the action for 5 days. yestauday  was anna her sons family maria  and me. alot of great food cheese and cold cut platter. rice salad, freid artichokes, tomato salad. stuffed mushrooms,roasted red peppers,baked zucini. and more that i cant remember that was at lunch time. at night all those sides and more comes out and i grills hambergers hotdogs sausage patties steak. desert chocolate pie , canolies, wine biscuits. 3 kinds. all really good. and hugh fire work display last night at 10.  hope everyone has a great week.

@Pooky1  I would go for the food alone, lol, a feast indeed! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

It is super muggy here. My computer went on the Fritz so had to take it in to be cleaned up. Geesh, they are getting sloppy - took it in Thursday and only got it back today - usually that is a day at the most. This heat wave we have is awful - it is the mugginess that gets to me. They say it will only get worse as the week progresses. Do not like hearing that.

Respected Contributor

Had a great boneless chuck roast, baby carrots, green beans, onion - sweet onion of course - and bell peppers in the slow cooker. My AC in the  kitchen has stopped working - only about 5 years old so it was hot. Also fixed baked potatoes in the microwave. Had no intention of heating up that oven. No way!!!

Hope all had a great day yesterday and even better one today. Our today will be completely miserable. At least 110 and tomorrow a few degrees higher. The mugginess is just horrible and it is really hard to breathe in. For the first time I can remember cannot get this house really cool but sure better than standing outside in the heat. Actually the temp - if it was dry air - is very easy to live in, not the mugginess we have inherited in later years - just horrible. A real bad combo.

Eat well today everyone!

Respected Contributor

wow winifred. we complain when its hot down here. your 110 pus high humidity sounds just awful. we never get that hot. like middle 90s but im 47 and never seen heat as high as you have. and you have a broken ac to top it off. i soooooo feel bad for you.  our weather is humity in the 70s and temps in the 80s. i bet you would love me to send you our weather. maria made chicken fahitas with boneless chicken breast cut up and red peppers. really good. one of annas friends brought her a big tray of flowers from pumkin plants. she stuffed them with ham and diped them in flour and egg batter and fried them. they were really good. hope everyone has a great day and winifred dont over do it . heat like you have  taking a couple steps must make you a sweaty mess i would think. good luck to you.

Honored Contributor

I invite all who are suffering with heat and humidity to come enjoy a great summer in southern West Virginia.   It is currently 73 degrees, and growing dark as a thunderstorm approaches.   We may hit a high of 81 by Friday, but have high percentage of rain every day.   

Both girls are home this week, so my motel and diner are staying busy.   I took the easy way out with supper tonight and ordered pizza and wings.   

Respected Contributor

Almost died yesterday and today is suppose to be even worse. This is unreal. I may have mentioned it but my AC for the kitchen died and the others were working but you would never know it. So unlike it as I always could stay cool in this house. Certainly not recently but talking with several other friends, many seem to be having the same problems. Even one lady who just does not use her AC a lot and I always thought that was strange is now miserable as she too cannot get cool and like I said she always stays cool. Weird. Our temps are running about the same as the high desert - that is completely unreal.

Ditty, Johnny's cat that has moved in, is also miserable but he has always been an independent soul. He obviously slept again last night out on top of the dryer - had to have been hot in that carport. Dad closed in the carport because they used it for appliances also so it can get stuffy hot. Front is open however. Went out to feed it and it jumped down meowing like crazy so we walked out back, cleaned out the bowls and he now has yummy food and nice clean water with two ice cubes in it. Course am sure those ice cubes melted within a very few short minutes but it is a start.

Fixed Ricky a frozen kids dinner last night and I made myself a delicious tomato sandwich - I love this time of year when I can find great tomatoes as I refuse to buy the ones the stores sell other than Aldi's. They always have real tomatoes that are not picked super early.

Have a great day everyone

Honored Contributor

@Winifred wrote:

Almost died yesterday and today is suppose to be even worse. This is unreal. I may have mentioned it but my AC for the kitchen died and the others were working but you would never know it. So unlike it as I always could stay cool in this house. Certainly not recently but talking with several other friends, many seem to be having the same problems. Even one lady who just does not use her AC a lot and I always thought that was strange is now miserable as she too cannot get cool and like I said she always stays cool. Weird. Our temps are running about the same as the high desert - that is completely unreal.

Ditty, Johnny's cat that has moved in, is also miserable but he has always been an independent soul. He obviously slept again last night out on top of the dryer - had to have been hot in that carport. Dad closed in the carport because they used it for appliances also so it can get stuffy hot. Front is open however. Went out to feed it and it jumped down meowing like crazy so we walked out back, cleaned out the bowls and he now has yummy food and nice clean water with two ice cubes in it. Course am sure those ice cubes melted within a very few short minutes but it is a start.

Fixed Ricky a frozen kids dinner last night and I made myself a delicious tomato sandwich - I love this time of year when I can find great tomatoes as I refuse to buy the ones the stores sell other than Aldi's. They always have real tomatoes that are not picked super early.

Have a great day everyone

@Winifred  Can you buy some fans?  I don't have A/C, but I have fans, and they save me during the heat, not as hot as where you are, and also, I swear by the wet towel, amazing how cooled off I get by using it, and wiping off my arms or wherever my body is generating a lot of heat, such as under the boobs, lol, so that with the fan really works.

I am still waiting for my tomatoes to grow and ripen, another month, I think.

Respected Contributor

Have ceiling fans in every room except the kitchen and bathroom. Also have a window fan in the room Davey and Ricky share - trying to get Davey to do the windows correctly in this heat/humidity is a lost cause.  It truly helps if you close the window where the sun comes in, pull the shade and put your thick drapes over it - it helps Then keep that window open when it . Ricky usually sleeps in the living room these days. LOL

The humidity is the killer and now we have a big fire very close to us which makes it all so much worse. 600 homes threatened. Most of these fires are set, whether by accident or otherwise and in this case hey nabbed the suspect already. Thank you Lord - what a horrible thing to do 

Suppose to be a couple degrees cooler tomorrow - har de har. The temp is not the devil it is the mugginess - hard to breathe and to think our weather use to be super dry - I can handle 120 very easy if the air is dry and not muggy. Use to be that way.

Stay cool

Trusted Contributor

Mmmmm, fresh beets. One of my favorite meals is sliced fresh beets (I use the pressure cooker), sauteed beet greens, and mashed potatoes. I've had it three times this week since the beets came in.

Also, gazpacho. I keep a big jar going in the fridge and keep tossing in more cukes, peppers, tomatoes and tomato juice, or whatever sounds good.Cold soup on a hot day is delish and extra hydration is always good.

Lots of egg, tuna or chicken salad, made with equal quantities of protein and celery. Eat it as is, or in a tomato, or in a sandwich, or on crackers.

And when it's really, really hot, I get up early and make dinner for breakfast, knowing I won't want to cook the rest of the day. Today I had salmon and steamed kale. 

Respected Contributor

KaySD you have a lot of good food at your home just waiting to be eaten. I use to do things like that but not too much lately. I think I got old and tired. Last night however did hit the Fridge for some of the roast and veggies left over from a couple nights back. Fixed a lot but not much left now - that is good!!

Today is continuing on in the heat - suppose to have "cooled off" a tad but obviously not. What is so very strange for us is everything but what really bothers me are the nights lately. So very hot - our nights usually get quite chilly and you need a good cover even during the hottest months of the year. Sure made it nicer. Not so lately. Last night I change my clothes 3 times during the night - I was literally wringing wet. This morning changed them again as I started moving around trying to get a few things done before it gets to where you simply cannot breathe.

So what for tonight - have no clue but do not have to sweat it very much as I will be alone. Have to go in the hospital tomorrow morning early for yet another bronchoscopy. Do not like doing that in the hospital. But they need to get an answer on what is really going on in my lungs - good or bad I can deal with reality better than assuming something.

Have a great day everyone and of course stay cool and eat well.