Honored Contributor

Re: July is here everyone - What's Cooking at your House?

[ Edited ]

The weather is cooling into the 70's for a while, thank goodness.

This morning, I made French toast for DH.  He usually makes his own breakfasts on Sundays, but his French toast is always dry and burned, so wanted to teach him how it should be, came out beautifully, like custard inside, crispy and golden outside.  He grumbled all the time so I told him to go into another room and do something.

After I served it, I told him I was expecting a nice critique, doubt he would have said anything, and when he said it was good, it had a forced sound to it, guess he likes dry, burned French toast just as he likes to burn his pancakes until black.  I also told him this was his one and only French toast lesson, bet he won't even try to do it right, a Taurus he is, stubborn to the max, lol.

Tonight will be a grilled butterflied pork tenderloin coated with chorizo and will be served in tortillas with avocado, onions, and cilantro.  I will insist no cheese on these, DH would have cheese on everything.

I gardened all day yesterday until 6:00, lugged heavy potted plants here and there, over did it, as usual, but am going back out today as I want to take advantage of the cooler weather, though yesterday was hot, in the 80's as was the day before.

Hope everyone enjoys today. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yesterday was another miserable day - worse than the day before.

Dread today but what can I say? ACs working like crazy and yet the house is not very cool but certainly a lot better than if I did not have any cooling. Need to try and figure out something for Davey and Ricky's bedroom. Problem I have is Davey as he overloads circuits with a million speakers and junk and he does not listen when I tell him there is a problem with that. He has spent last several days with his Dad and that is a blessing - his behavior has been horribly disrespectful. He does not do that with his Dad but Dad does not say much when Davey starts with his mouth aimed at me. Not right.

At daybreak will go out and check on the pretty kitty that I am now taking care of. I worry about her being out in the heat but then I realize she has survived a lot of years time alone. She is now running up to the fence to say hello to me. She is doing very well - she let me pick her up twice now and purrs and purrs. Well I still have that pricey dog kennel I got some years back for the cats I use to have. Had four at one time but when the little two legged ones moved in I knew I had to do something. They now own the kennel - they love playing in it and it is super clean - and I do not really want them near the old cat. She is doing very well however Am calling animal control today to see how they feel about things.

Had leftover fried zucchini last night with those super good cherry tomatoes. They are so sweet and use to be you could get them anywhere that were yummy - not any more. So many are horrible but I know where to find the good ones and I wash them and could eat just them for a meal - I sometimes do that.

Stay cool everyone - air just too oppressive to spend any time outside doing any thing. Fire still burning by us by they have now told residents they can go home. Amazing in that not one single building was lost. Those firefighters are outstanding. 

Stay cool everyone.

Respected Contributor

good morning everyone. winifred i so  understand you hot weather issue. were up tp 90 today and high humidity but not as bad as you.yestauday maria made magaritta chicken over a salad. not my favorate but it was good and today she made chinese fried rice and egg rolls. when i got up i cooked jasmine rice and the eggs for the fried rice. and she made the rest.hope everyone has a great day.

Respected Contributor

My little four year old great great grand had trouble during the night last night - as did I. Air was unbelievably thick - very difficult to breathe. ACs did not help much. This is so weird, even for us.  The little abandoned cat, however, was in my carport this morning wanting to make sure she got fresh water and food I guess. She is so cute but am worried about her as I have hesitated to call animal control as she has never been caged - has always roamed. I will come up with something however - not sure of her age but she is old. I understand that.

Ricky had green beans and fresh cut apples for dinner last night. I fixed myself a tomato sandwich - very good. We both also had some cheese crackers as go withs. LOL. That boy LOVES green beans. Davey is still with his Dad - thank goodness - and the little girl is with a friend. Will pick her up tomorrow.

This weather has gotten to me - one TV station said last night we have not had weather like this in 100 years - I wasn't around quite that long ago but I believe it.

Eat well everyone.

Respected Contributor

Ricky and Leah were both a bit uncomfortable last night - really sticky again. Finally a bit after midnight both seemed to crash pretty well. Ricky was up entirely too early but had to wake Leah a bit after 8 - we were going to the park to meet some people interested in seeing them as they had expressed a desire to help with their care - they were recommended by my Pastor's wife. They were marvelous people - have 5 children - two in college and one almost there and two younger ones. Either the father or the Mother - both work - are ALWAYS at home. Their children have never been home without a parent in the home - good for them. Do not know what she does but I think he works on the rigs in the ocean. Children have always gone to private school - and they are lovely people but said with their kids growing up both said they wanted some younger children around. They are obviously wealthy but so very down to earth and have done well with their kids - interesting in that they are a blended family - 3 youngest are theirs and the two oldest, one each belong to the father and the other to the Mother. They have done well with their lives.I really liked them.

So stinking hot now. Have tried to get the little ones to slow down as when Ricky is on a roll - it is difficult handling either or both of them. LOL.

Dinner? Have no clue but am thinking about spaghetti - easy to fix and everyone likes it.

Davey is not behaving well and I am NOT happy with his Dad as he is aiding and abetting - that has become such a change for him as he was an excellent parent the first 10 years of Davey's life. He now has become a user and I find that offensive.

Hope all have a great day - stay cool.

Regular Contributor

What's cooking? Anything that takes less than 10 - 15 mins. Smiley Tongue

I sent this message from the last living brain cell I have.
Honored Contributor

Not much cooking going on at my house this week even tho trucker daughter is home.   She’s been helping her boyfriend cut and bale hay this week, and not getting home until after midnight, so my husband and I have just been eating a sandwich, baked potato or cornbread and milk.   Seems too hot for an actual sit down meal.    

Respected Contributor

We had pizza tonight = and a houseful of grand, great grands and great greats. Lots of fun but tiring for sure. Good thing is I did NOT have to pay for the pizza. Yippee - that does not happen often.

Another stinking hot day and I do not feel good at all. Got a very sore throat and can hardly hold my eyes open - need to get the little girl asleep as Ricky went to Sherry and Matt's for a couple of days. Am really tired.

Hope all had a great day. Stay cool.

Honored Contributor

Off to the grocery store early this morning, before the store got busy, and before it started heating up outside.   

Last night was BLT’s, but I want turkey breast, stovetop stuffing, and salad today.   Turkey is in the oven now.   

House is empty again for a few days, so there won’t be much cooking going on.   

Honored Contributor

I havn't posted because we have been having leftovers or other repeat dinners, sausages, potstickers, etc. not cooking, but tonight will be ribs charcoal grilled on the Webber with a corn, mango, avocado, red onion, cilantro, jalapeno, and lime juice mix,  and sweet potato fries in the air fryer, havn't done this yet, may also make a slaw.  Our produce gives a coupon every week with free food, last week it was three mangoes, very ripe now, so must use them.

The weather is cooler today, but with sun, so good gardening weather, but have to come in soon enough to prepare dinner and have it done with before Valerie's show begins at 7:00, usually don't eat before 7:00 on Sunday in the summer as we stay outside until 6:00 or so, then a shower, then dinner prep.