Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I had to watch her today on You Tube.  She's great in those shows.  I never saw her when they aired the first times.  I was looking through some of our cookbooks, and I thought, why not her?  

Did you ever watch her?  I learned a few new things today on veg's, I never knew.  What fun!  I have to watch more in days to come.

Any new things in the kitchen for you?

@qualitygal My dad and I loved her and never missed a show that was on in our area.

I had Mastering French Cooking in college and during those years and my first few out, I cooked every recipe I could get ingredients--or even close--for!

Ina Garten, Martha Stewart and others have said they did this too.  And I will proudly say I'm not afraid to cook anything!  I know techniques and can make most recipes I've ever seen work.  

I have even made homemade puff pastry, souffles, and boned and butterflied a leg of lamb!  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   Wow, that's an amazing accomplishment.  It would be fun to have that much knowledge and cook and bake.  Good for you!Woman LOL

Honored Contributor

@Whitney400 wrote:

Julia was one of a kind. Very talented.  The funniest presentation I ever saw her give was one on Good Mornin America (New York) years ago.  She was heavily into French cooking and she used a lot of wine in her dishes.  I don't know what time she started preparing for the show, but by the time she was actually on air, she must have consumed more wine than what she put in the food.  Charlie Gibson had to help her out with the cooking because she was pretty tipsy.  She was slurring her words. The whole show was hysterical.  

@Whitney400  I'd have loved watching that!!

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Sooner   Wow, that's an amazing accomplishment.  It would be fun to have that much knowledge and cook and bake.  Good for you!Woman LOL

@qualitygal  Thanks but Julia Child was that good at writing her books and you learned high level cooking skills.  Luckly I was very young, bored to pieces and worked hard to learn them.

That woman gave me basic skills that I have enjoyed and my family benefitted from my entire life.  If you can make the basic sauces, saute, braise, fry, steam, poach, temper, whip eggs, and cut up meats and poultry you can make anything. 

Contributor

Love Julia Child.  She brought elegance to American cooking.  My favorite is her Reine de Saba cake.  Intensely chocolate and delicious.

Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

I had to watch her today on You Tube.  She's great in those shows.  I never saw her when they aired the first times.  I was looking through some of our cookbooks, and I thought, why not her?  

Did you ever watch her?  I learned a few new things today on veg's, I never knew.  What fun!  I have to watch more in days to come.

Any new things in the kitchen for you?

I enjoy watching the old Julia Child's on Create, especially the ones with her and Jacque Pepin

Jessa
Honored Contributor

My sister and I always watched with my mom......she had a good sense of humor too...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

Re: Julia Child

[ Edited ]

I always watched Julia Child's shows. I loved her attitude.

I saw the movie that came out a few years ago; I read two books about her that I enjoyed much more, though.