Super Contributor

Jimmy the Baker strawberry rolls question.

Have you received an order for strawberry rolls that was recently presented.  My order arrived today and they were not in dry ice.  In fact they were hot and in a small brown box.  No label at all that stated it was a food item.  The cream cheese was open on one container and running out. I called customer service and they said it did not state they would be shipped in dry ice. They tried to locate a number to call the bakery, but I found it myself while waiting.  I called the bakery to be told they were not shipped on ice of any kind - as they expected them to arrive in a day or so.  They said it was too expensive to ship on ice.  The person I was talking with stated the icing was mostly sugar but did have milk - I questioned if this was a safe shipment and they said a couple of times mostly sugar - put them in the refrigerator and let them get cold.  My order stated that shipping label was made on the 24th and they just arrived today 27th.   What has been another experience and what did you do?

Honored Contributor

Re: Jimmy the Baker strawberry rolls question.

I've purchased the pumpkin cinnamon rolls from this vendor and they were never packed with ice packs either, but they always seemed to arrive in good order.   I would put them right into the freezer and keep them there.

Esteemed Contributor

@toril, I would call QVC and explain this to the rep, requesting a refund.  

If there'e milk in the frosting mixture, I certainly wouldn't consider it safe to eat.  Best thing you can do is toss it and don't purchase from this vendor again, as apparently this vendor just care about the bottom line more than the product being sold.

Esteemed Contributor

@toril

Your concern is one that many share.

I have experience in receiving and returning donor tissue shipped both ways using dry ice and, yes, it does add to the cost of the item.  Additionally, the vendor would have to have a dedicated freezer, delivery of dry ice or personnel to pick up the dry ice.  Plus, vendor would have to purchase pairs of special gloves made for the purpose of breaking up and handling dry ice.  All of these things add up to the extent that would probably price the food item out of reach for most potential customers.

On the other hand, certain levels of sugar are known to inhibit the growth of bacteria.  Though I'm not aware of the amount of sugar used in the strawberry rolls in question, it's possible the vendor is relying on this science.

I'm not trying to make excuses for the vendor, just providing some information.  I can tell you that living on the west coast I've ordered Junior's Cheesecakes without any issue whatever and they're full of milk via cream cheese, etc.  Never had one turn bad in shipping.  Always fantastic.

The fact that the cream cheese container did not hold up is inexcusable, so in my book, you should have been sent a new order free of charge.  Hope someone at the Q end initiates such a process for you.

Respected Contributor

If you have to second guess this food item, I would call QVC and get a refund. Better to be safe than sorry. You don;t want to risk getting sick.

Esteemed Contributor

I've ordered in the past and enjoyed everything but - I agree - the packaging is tacky.  Farmer's Market style.  Packed in ice and ice containers are probably very expensive and added weight & shipping charge too.  As long as we continue to order J the B  I guess the packaging won't change.

Respected Contributor

I remember JTB saying if the rolls arrived warm-hot not to worry, just put them in the fridge or freezer to cool & firm up. Since the frosting container was open it seems fair that you'd be sent a new order...notify @customer care, they helped me several times. Good luck.

Super Contributor

Thanks for all the information.  It is so hot here right now and this sat in transport for a couple of days at least. I'm not certain if I would order again during the summer months.  I try to be very careful with eggs and dairy in the heat in my own kitchen. Customer Service said they would refund which is good, but I have not received a call back from JTB as they stated which is not great customer service. I was reading a few of the other reviews and some did in fact receive warm as well.  Again, thanks for all the replies and the science of sugar - had no idea on that one.

Occasional Contributor

Contact Jimmy directly on his facebook site, and state your problem. He is very customer service orientated. He will get back to you. ( He has to me several times-once even sent a letter in responce.) Also, there may have been a problem with the shipper.