Trusted Contributor

Re: Jan. 8 Today is ENGLISH TOFFEE DAY

I made these for a New Year's Eve gathering:Graham Cracker Toffee Crunch (from the Six Sisters site).

I have made something similar with Saltines--think I got that original recipe on this bb, but they are all over Pinterest and the internet. Anyway, this one uses graham crackers instead. They are delicious and not hard on your teeth at all. I used Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips and omitted the nuts due to nut allergies of several at the party.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Trusted Contributor

On 1/8/2015 faeriemoon said:

I caved. Two pieces. (Or was it three....) {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Now see there, if you had only just sent it to me!!{#emotions_dlg.lol}

I knew this would happen!{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Respected Contributor

Don't know if they are sold anymore but a Heath Bar would satisfy a craving or that Almond Rocha (sp?) the pink can. My mom used to make the really good stuff that required a candy thermometer.
Super Contributor

Could we have this day again? Love toffee, but especially treacle toffee and liquorice toffee.

Honored Contributor

On 1/8/2015 JustJules said:

Could we have this day again? Love toffee, but especially treacle toffee and liquorice toffee.

I have never heard of liquorice toffee, any recipes?

Super Contributor

On 1/8/2015 mousiegirl said:

Liquorice (or licorice) toffee is popular in the UK. I've never made it at home, only just purchased it in stores. Walker's makes a very good one. I did find a recipe on the "familycookbook.com" site for making it that sounds quite simple.

1 can sweetened, condensed milk

2 cups sugar

1/4 tsp salt

3/4 tsp anise oil

1 cup butter

1 1/2 cup white Karo syrup

Directions: Combine all of the above except anise oil in a heavy saucepan. Stirring constantly, cook to 234 degrees. Remove from stove and add licorice flavoring and about 3/4 tsp. black food paste color. Mix well, pour into 8" x 8" buttered pan. Cool. Cut into bite size pieces. When cooled, wrap in waxed paper and store in tightly covered container.

They say "this toffee is better than the best quality sold at any candy counter". I might just have to try making it and find out for myself. Smile

Honored Contributor

On 1/9/2015 JustJules said:
On 1/8/2015 mousiegirl said:

Liquorice (or licorice) toffee is popular in the UK. I've never made it at home, only just purchased it in stores. Walker's makes a very good one. I did find a recipe on the "familycookbook.com" site for making it that sounds quite simple.

1 can sweetened, condensed milk

2 cups sugar

1/4 tsp salt

3/4 tsp anise oil

1 cup butter

1 1/2 cup white Karo syrup

Directions: Combine all of the above except anise oil in a heavy saucepan. Stirring constantly, cook to 234 degrees. Remove from stove and add licorice flavoring and about 3/4 tsp. black food paste color. Mix well, pour into 8" x 8" buttered pan. Cool. Cut into bite size pieces. When cooled, wrap in waxed paper and store in tightly covered container.

They say "this toffee is better than the best quality sold at any candy counter". I might just have to try making it and find out for myself. Smile

Thank you so much, JustJules, I will make this soon.

Honored Contributor

I would have bought a Heath bar but they're so hard to find any more.

Frequent Contributor

I love English Toffee. I always brought some back with me when I visited Canada.