Esteemed Contributor

Re: Jan. 6 Today is BEAN DAY What is your favorite bean or recipes with beans??

I'm making beans and smoked turkey wings with kale tonight for dinner (and lunch and dinner).

I use dried beans and quick cook them. The dish will be done about an hour after the turkey wings are.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

Bean there. Done that.

Super Contributor

The success of this recipe, I think, depends entirely on flavorful sausage. We love this and could have it every week when it's cold, cool, or sometimes in the summer; it's that good.

Beans and Sausage

1 lb chicken and apple sausage, sliced; I prefer TJ’s Chicken Sicilian Sausage
2 T olive oil
2 small bell peppers, any color, seeded and cut into strips
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
1/4 c dry red wine
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In an un-greased skillet over medium heat, lightly brown the sausage. If the sausage is smoked or fully cooked, slice and set aside. If fresh, add the water. Cover until completely cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover and cook for a few minutes more. Let cool and slice.

Wipe out the skillet and warm the oil over medium heat. Add the peppers onion and garlic; cook, stirring until just tender. Transfer to the slow cooker and add the sausage, beans, tomatoes and their juice, and wine. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, or LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Near the end of the cooking time check the consistency and cook with the lid off to thicken, if desired. Season with salt and pepper and serve. 6 servings

Trusted Contributor

I love to make lentil soup with carrots, celery, onions, and lots of cumin and curry powder. Sometimes I throw in tomatoes if I have them. Then I blend the whole thing so it is smooth.

Honored Contributor

I love to cook and eat a variety of dried beans. I prefer a pot of beans seasoned with ham, or bacon, but I don't want anything else cooked in my beans. I want to eat my beans in a bowl, with cornbread, onions, and a side of slaw. I always have bags of pinto, October, Great Northern and yellow eye beans in my pantry.
Super Contributor

On 1/6/2015 RedTop said: I love to cook and eat a variety of dried beans. I prefer a pot of beans seasoned with ham, or bacon, but I don't want anything else cooked in my beans. I want to eat my beans in a bowl, with cornbread, onions, and a side of slaw. I always have bags of pinto, October, Great Northern and yellow eye beans in my pantry.

I always have dried pinto and Great Northern beans on hand and cook/season like you. Cornbread, no sugar/slaw/onion. The yellow eye beans I haven't heard of those. Do they have a different taste/texture?

Honored Contributor

The yellow eye beans are a favorite of my husbands, as his mom only cooked these and pinto beans for her family. They are my least favorite dried bean, as I think they take longer to cook, and to me they are the least tasty of all dried beans. I never cook these beans without soaking overnight, and cooking with a ham bone, or cubes of ham. I love my beans with a thick hearty soup, and think it takes more work to get that with yellow eyes.
Super Contributor

On 1/8/2015 RedTop said: The yellow eye beans are a favorite of my husbands, as his mom only cooked these and pinto beans for her family. They are my least favorite dried bean, as I think they take longer to cook, and to me they are the least tasty of all dried beans. I never cook these beans without soaking overnight, and cooking with a ham bone, or cubes of ham. I love my beans with a thick hearty soup, and think it takes more work to get that with yellow eyes.

Thank you for your explanation. Tomorrow is grocery day and I'm looking for yellow beans. I like an easy challenge...I'm from the South and I thought I knew everything about beans. LOL

Valued Contributor

On 1/6/2015 Beebee2 said:

The success of this recipe, I think, depends entirely on flavorful sausage. We love this and could have it every week when it's cold, cool, or sometimes in the summer; it's that good.

Beans and Sausage

1 lb chicken and apple sausage, sliced; I prefer TJ’s Chicken Sicilian Sausage
2 T olive oil
2 small bell peppers, any color, seeded and cut into strips
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
1/4 c dry red wine
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

In an un-greased skillet over medium heat, lightly brown the sausage. If the sausage is smoked or fully cooked, slice and set aside. If fresh, add the water. Cover until completely cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Uncover and cook for a few minutes more. Let cool and slice.

Wipe out the skillet and warm the oil over medium heat. Add the peppers onion and garlic; cook, stirring until just tender. Transfer to the slow cooker and add the sausage, beans, tomatoes and their juice, and wine. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, or LOW for 6 to 8 hours. Near the end of the cooking time check the consistency and cook with the lid off to thicken, if desired. Season with salt and pepper and serve. 6 servings

Sounds very good & easy! saving this for another day since I don't have any cannellini beans and will sub the wine with chicken stock