Respected Contributor

Jan. 11 Today is MILK DAY What is your favorite milk to drink??

My mom started us out with whole, then 2%, the 1%, then to skim.

So we drink skim milk now.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Whole milk tastes so thick, but will drink it if I have to.

Respected Contributor

Re: Jan. 11 Today is MILK DAY What is your favorite milk to drink??

I started drinking skim milk at age 20. It's very refreshing when I'm thirsty or during the summer when it's hot. My favorite form of milk is ice cream and whipped cream.

Honored Contributor

I just use Silk Soymilk. If I have to get milk for baking or guests, it's skim. I guess they call it fat-free now, don't they?

Respected Contributor

I also like the Silk Chocolate Soymilk.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I'm in my mid 50's and I've never gotten over my love for a tall glass of ice cold milk. For me, there are certain things that just have to have a glass of milk to accompany them and nothing else will suffice.

We always had whole milk when I was a kid. Back then you had only two choices, whole or skim. When I was a teen, we switched to 2% - it was a new thing on the market. The lowest fat I can go is 2%.

Skim milk, I've read, isn't as good for you as most people think. Most people would be surprised to learn that skim milk is what's left after skimming the cream out and that it used to either be discarded or fed to pigs. Also, when you take the fat out of milk, the there is nothing left to help the fat soluble vitamins in the milk absorb into your body. It's also interesting to see how the increased use of skim milk in our society also coincided with the weight gain epidemic.

These days I'm drinking less cow's milk unless I have a recipe that calls for it and I'm just finishing off the jug. I really like Silk Almond Milk in the Dark Chocolate flavor, but that's not great for you either with the added sugar.

Valued Contributor

On 1/11/2015 Barbarainnc said:

My mom started us out with whole, then 2%, the 1%, then to skim.

So we drink skim milk now.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Whole milk tastes so thick, but will drink it if I have to.

whole milk when growing up, changed to 2% in my mid 20's then to skim milk in my 40's and will continue to drink skim milk. I also think whole milk tastes "thick" to me!

I agree that there is nothing better than a good cold glass of milk!!

Honored Contributor

Organic 1 percent lactose free.

Trusted Contributor

Organic, homemade, cultured dairy: Buttermilk, Kefir, and yogurt. Yummy, inexpensive probiotics!

Anyone interested should check out "Cultures for Health" website.

Super Contributor

Almond milk unsweetened. Regular milk has too much SUGAR naturally occurring in it. Skim milk is like drinking sugar. Almond milk has very very low occurring sugar and very low carb and half the calories in a 8 ounce serving than skim milk.. I stopped drinking regular milk all together. Whole milk is full of sugar AND full of artery clogging fat.

Super Contributor

There is nothing like a nice cold glass of milk with a piece of chocolate cake (notice how I worked chocolate into the day). Smile I grew up drinking 2%, then tried 1% and liked it so I figured skim milk wouldn't be much different. Some people say skim milk is too watery but if you make the change gradually I don't think the difference is so drastic. Now I find myself drinking both 2% and skim milk, but usually purchase 2% and I don't care for whole milk for drinking on it's own. I need to drink more milk, I normally only have some in my tea in the morning and in my cereal. I keep seeing all these commercials for almond milk and am curious about trying that.