Valued Contributor

Re: Jam and Jelly Canning Equipment what do you use?

Great!! I am sure that you will love it. You are getting it at a very good price.  Let us know how it works for you.

Honored Contributor

@hellokitty : Thank you for your help. I try to do research on something and find the best price. DH jokes with me and calls me " cheap o ". But he knows my motto: Don't spend to much on something today cause tomorrow you will probably want something else.😳😁. I will let you know.❤️❤️

Honored Contributor

I had no idea about the fancy gadgets that were available for canning. 

I have my big old pot up in the attic with all my canning jars. Stopped canning when my son refused to eat anything with tomatoes. Tomatoes were the #1 thing I liked to can. It was so good to eat tomatoes all year long.

I must admit that Ball water bath canner looks like a winner with the drain at the bottom. 

Hope it works out well for you, @SouthernBee . Please keep us posted how it works for you. And all the food you are canning.

Maybe it is time for me to dig out my canning stuff. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla : Sorry that I haven't responded before now was busy this weekend working on something else. I am really excited about this product and looking forward to trying different things. I really love pepper jelly but can't tolerate very spicy due to heart burn issues. I can try a small batch of pepper jelly hopefully reducing the heat and sugar. I will keep everyone posted and appreciate all the help.

Please consider trying to use your canning supplies for something that you would enjoy.😀❤️

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla @hellokitty @Scooby Doo @SoonerLater : Ball canner delivered today. Didn't realize so big. Does the canner release a lot of steam? Concern about cabinets because my space is so small.6F11D910-E9AC-4120-AF89-DFEF753C12EC.jpeg

Sink on other side of the refrigerator. Canner will be near the corner top cabinet and positioned less than 2 inches below where the handle is on the cabinet. Hope y'all can see and understand this. Any suggestions or help appreciated.

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@drizzellla @hellokitty @Scooby Doo @SoonerLater : Ball canner delivered today. Didn't realize so big. Does the canner release a lot of steam? Concern about cabinets because my space is so small.6F11D910-E9AC-4120-AF89-DFEF753C12EC.jpeg

Sink on other side of the refrigerator. Canner will be near the corner top cabinet and positioned less than 2 inches below where the handle is on the cabinet. Hope y'all can see and understand this. Any suggestions or help appreciated.

Sorry I do not have a clue. Whenever I canned with a hot water bath, it has been on my stove and there is a clearance of 2 feet. And the cabinet is above the vent hood.

I think it will not be good for the cabinet. BUT I also think you will only be canning on occasion. And the cabinet could withstand occasionally the additional moisture. I bet the manufacturer of the cabinets take into account that it can encounter additional moisture

Maybe put a towel as a buffer on your cabinet. And then you will be able to gauge how much mosture would hit the cabinet.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla : Thankyou for taking the time to respond. I will not be using this for long periods of time. Great suggestion about the towel. Still need to look for my canning accessories. Probably need to order the pectin from Amazon because Walmart didn't have any. I like pepper jelly but not really hot. Thought I would try pepper jelly and peach jam. If the results are good would like to make more for Christmas gifts. 

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee wrote:

@drizzellla : Thankyou for taking the time to respond. I will not be using this for long periods of time. Great suggestion about the towel. Still need to look for my canning accessories. Probably need to order the pectin from Amazon because Walmart didn't have any. I like pepper jelly but not really hot. Thought I would try pepper jelly and peach jam. If the results are good would like to make more for Christmas gifts. 

A good thing about making your own pepper jelly, you get to make it to your liking. 

Are you using half pint jars? You will not be using as much hot water. So that will mean that the steam would be alot less. Even if you are using pint jars. I bet that the steam will be less as a factor. And give you more of a clearance between the canner and the cabinets.

Too bad, pectin is in stock at our local Walmart. 

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla : I like the idea of making what I like or need - using less hot peppers or reducing the amount of sugar. I will be using the smaller jars and as you mentioned should be less steam and more clearance between canner and cabinet. A friend today tried to talk me in returning the canner and felt this was a bad purchase. I don't think so and don't want to hurt DH feelings. Some people just don't understand. 

Respected Contributor

Making preserves last year, I used my large stove top pot, just

enough water to cover the jars.   

I have a canning kettle, the seperator and the whole thing and I didn't bother.

My pot was large enough and all you need is a pot high enough to cover the top of the jars.  Another option is to make freezer jam, I found that just as successful as processing.