Honored Contributor

Jam and Jelly Canning Equipment what do you use?

7CD7AD88-5A1D-4B2D-9865-D3EC2F367F53.jpegE51F296E-F176-431C-BAA5-B04EC02BD977.jpegNo longer able to use the heavy stove top water bath canners.Anyone have success with the countertop electric water bath canner that you can drain into the kitchen sink ? Or the other jam/ jelly maker that stirs the fruit and makes small batch ( 3 to 4 jars). I know that the information can be researched but prefer input from actual users. Thank you for any help.

Regular Contributor

Re: Jam and Jelly Canning Equipment what do you use?

How about shorter jars, so you have less water in the pot.  Then dip some out with a dipper before carrying the pot.  

Honored Contributor

@SoonerLater : Thanks for responding. I've tried your suggestion and it was still difficult for me plus afraid of spilles and falling.

Respected Contributor

I can't lift the heavy water bath canner any longer.  So what I do is:

I bought a single electric burner from Walmart for about $20.  I set it up on a small outdoor table outside my back door.  I set the canner on the burner and fill the water with the water hose.  Plug it in the get the water boiling, takes about 30 minutes.  I boil the bottles outside then let them cool before bringing them in the house.  I empty the canner by tipping it and watering the grass.  Sounds pretty old fashioned but it works for me.  I started doing this the year after I forgot it was boiling on the kitchen stove and it boiled dry and exploded.  I had glass and tomatoes all over the walls, ceiling, behind the fridge and stove.  Now I carry a timer around with me.  

BTW, have you looked at the cost of those canning lids?  If you can find any they're around $11 a box.   I ordered some from A, but they're backordered.  I found a flat of bottles with tops today that was the same cost of just the lids.

Honored Contributor

@Scooby Doo : Great solution for you. I have a walker that I use in the house and this makes things more difficult. Trying not to give up but find different ways to do something.I have a back room closet that has extra stuff. I will check tomorrow and hope that my cases of small canning jars , lids and other items are in the closet. I haven't priced other items yet but so many things have really increased in price. Thank you for taking the time to share your information.

Valued Contributor

I own both of them.  I like the electric water bath canner a lot!  We have had the jam and jelly maker for awhile and the only drawback is it seems you can only use the recipes that come with the appliance.  It's easy to use though and practically fool proof.

Honored Contributor

@hellokitty : Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with these. I was wondering about the jelly maker but thinking it would be smaller and easier to store but that the electric water bath canner would have more options.

Valued Contributor

When I can with the electric waterbath canner I keep it close to my sink.  It's a breeze to empty when the water is cool.  I am hoping to get a Presto Electronic Pressure canner but the only thing holding me back is the $250 price tag.

Honored Contributor

@hellokitty : I like the electric water bath canner because able to place next to sink and easy empty with no worries about spilling the water and fear of falling. Nicer things for convenience do have a higher price tag. Keep searching and hope the Presto price will decrease or some sale.

Honored Contributor

@hellokitty : Bed Bath and Beyond has the Ball Electric Bath Canner for $149.99 but with the 20% coupon and free shipping plus tax $129. My birthday is in July. DH just gave me his card and told me to please order it. Thank you for all your help.