Esteemed Contributor

Re: JUNK - Kitchen Shears (Kuhn-Rikon) - Suggestions for New Ones

[ Edited ]

I am surprised when threads like this occasionally pop up—I've had six or seven of the Kuhn Rikon shears for many years, and they all are still cutting like they did right out of the box. I have one that is primarily for packaging, one for use in the kitchen (typically for non-food applications), three for pruning and trimming outside, and another I'm using for paper and similar cutting purposes in my office. I have also given many as gifts and always received rave reviews from the recipients.

Question to those who are having issues: Do you open and close the shears every now and then to activate the self-sharpening feature? Doing that a few times is how you hone the blades and keep them nice and sharp. Sometimes MCM doesn't remember to emphasize that during his presentations, but it's a simple thing to do that really does make a difference in the shears' performance.

ETA: I have purchased these shears every year they've been offered, so although a few of the shears have been around for a very long time, the newer ones I've added have also been working great. I haven't tried the new style with the lock in the handle.

Respected Contributor

For those who are perplexed at the negative comments about the KR snips, see the reviews on QVC's product pages. Often the glowing reports are left by people who had old models. A lot of people described the same issues people had here--dulling. I found the snips awkward to hold and didn't like using them.

I bought a set last year to give as gifts and gave one to one person. Have no idea whether she used them or  not. The rest of them sit on my gift shelf, unused.

I would never use KR snips with food or in a food setting. For kitchen purposes, I swear by the Curtis Stone scissors that came in a set with three others of different styles. The blades, one of which is supposedly a santoku, come apart so you can make sure they're clean before you put them away. 

I use Olfa cutters for clamshell packaging and tons of other things. They're available with 9mm and 30mm blades, in a variety of handles.

Since Curtis Stone's set is no longer available, I would go with the OXO recommendations and see what else Amazon has that's well-reviewed.

Valued Contributor

I have a set I bought 5-6 years ago and they are still going strong.  Maybe the newer ones are lacking in quality.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

KitchenAid kitchen shears I believe were about $10 @ Target. I keep them in the kitchen, but reach for them for multiple uses! Great at opening those plastic clamshells & fabulous for cutting chicken, ribs & steak like butter! lol Obviously cleaned well between uses if using on food. Or you could get a separate pair.

Super Contributor

@hellokitty wrote:

I have a set I bought 5-6 years ago and they are still going strong.  Maybe the newer ones are lacking in quality.

BINGO on your last sentence.

Esteemed Contributor

Hmmm....I'm sorry to hear some of you had problems with KR shears. I bought a pair of the larger ones last year, as well as the set of 4 smaller ones. I'm extremely happy with them and haven't had any problems at all with them. I probably use them daily or at least every several days, and consider them to be a great purchase....they work for me!

Honored Contributor

These are the scissors I referred to that have dulled and dont cut a  thing anymore.  I shared the purchase so I only had 1 pair.  I never needed all the pairs offered in gift boxes but now wish I had bought them.

0A9462FA-8135-40D5-8FE8-F234EBAF5C5F.jpeg

Respected Contributor

I bought 1 pair off of eBay since I didn't need 4. I wanted it for pruning outside and it didn't last long before it becoming wonky and the scissor part not staying in the same place.