Honored Contributor

I had a huge problem with fruit flies recently. I found a similar concoction that works like magic. In fact, I now keep it in a small mason jar amidst the fruit and veggies.  It's one tablespoon apple cider vinegar (wine also works) with one tablespoon liquid dish detergent. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and poke a few holes with a sharp knife.  I haven't had a problem since.  I change it every couple of days and it always has flies in it.  I know it's kind of yucky to think about, but it really works.

IMG_4037.JPG

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Several years ago I invested in a set of fruit fly traps from Amazon. One of the best investments I've made. I saw my first fruit fly a few weeks ago and hauled out one of my traps, pours a little apple cider vinegar in it and have already caught 3. I feel I'm keeping a jump on them this year because every late summer we have tons! 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

I use this method, and it always works....and it's easy. I use a little wine (zinfandel) - fill a couple of shot glasses (or small glass containers) half or three-quarters full, cover with a piece of plastic wrap and poke some decent sized holes in the top with a toothpick. Set them at different places in your kitchen where you see those blasted bugs. Within a couple of days, you'll have captured/killed a lot of them. Apple cider vinegar works as well.

I know a lot of people add Dawn detergent, but I don't see any difference whether I use it or not. It seems to be the wine or cider vinegar that will draw them - and they'll drown in it because they can't get out of the container....guaranteed.

Trusted Contributor

ughhhh i had 2 in my place.. the suckers were so fast i could never kill them.. saw 1 on my banana so i got rid of that.. the one was big, must of been eating alot  lol.... finally i think its gone.. havent seen it in at least 2 days.... but it was annoying  lol... i dont think they live for long do they? i was  seeing mine around for almost a week..........

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@susielong1 

@J Town Girl 

@LindaSal 

Thank you! I never heard of this and I will set up this trap before the night's over.

@depglass thanks for asking the question. I've done something that eliminated the invasion of ants, and now here go the fruit flies. Yippee!

@x Hedge do you mind sharing what you did to get rid of the ants?