Respected Contributor

Re: It's December 2018 - What's Cooking at your House?

Snow is falling now.Good to stay home and keep warm. Had chilli tonight. Have a good week-end!

Honored Contributor

I set ribeyes out to thaw around noon today, and everyone here had a different request for their go-with.    I wanted onion rings.   Husband wanted corn.   Trucker daughter wanted potato skins!    So guess what?   Everyone got their wish!   Teacher daughter is here this weekend, and she ate onion rings and potato skins.    Trucker daughters boyfriend is here and he chose corn and potato skins.   No leftovers.    

Esteemed Contributor

Hello ladies, I hope it's okay if I join your conversation. I have read your thread for a long time and get some good meal ideas. I love to cook, but due to a bad knee standing for long stretches is a pain, literally. I don't do what I used to.  When I worked I would do marathon sessions on the weekend so coming home from work wasn't a mad dash to get dinner on the table.  these days it's more of a 1/2 marathon using a walker with a seat to prep and wheel to the fridge and stove etc. I've gotten pretty good at it. Today's projects are  chicken and dumplings, a pot of chili, and maybe a meatloaf for sandwiches. 

Respected Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2  So nice to meet you.I was where you were at a year ago using a walker but now I am ok.Your menu sounds delicious.

Esteemed Contributor

@hellie jo  Nice to meet you also.  Glad you are getting around now.  Once I get this knee replaced  I'm having a retirement party for the walker.  My cat will be happy she is afraid of it. It has a basket on the front and I keep asking if she wants a ride in it.  The Queen is not amused.

Respected Contributor

Retired legal secretary, so very glad to have you participate here. I have been around since this thread started - many years ago by Shirley, aka Rabbit. Would be great if I could talk her into coming back and introducing herself - she is a great person. Have actually been to her home - great old home in the South - many of us actually use to travel around from time to time getting to really know some of the posters. Had a lot of fun!!!

I do not cook as much as I use to - am older than dirt - from the South (NC) originally, but have lived in Sou Cal for many years now. Do not like it like I once did. OH well.

Always great to see everyone here and read up on what everyone is cooking. I do enjoy eating still. LOL. Been thinking avout cooking up a bunch of spaghetti for a good week now so I can freeze some - hopefully I may finally get that done today..

Very cold here tis morning but it looks like our storms are gone - thank goodness. Now we will start the cleanup from the mud slides, fires, etc. Have a great day everyone.

Esteemed Contributor

@Winifred  Thanks for the warm welcome. The South is beautiful but heat and humidity would do me in. Born and have lived my whole life in PA.  Born in Central PA near the Little League Stadium.  Moved about 85 miles North when I got married. Couldn't cook when I got married but got pretty good over the years. Wanting to eat is strong motavation to learn. 

It's freezing here, got as far as chili in crockpot. Cookies popped into my little brain now I might have to do a batch. Haveto decide on what kind,

Honored Contributor

Have been busy decorating the kitchen this week, almost done.

Tonight will be fish and spinach, tomorrow I am planning to make Chinese chicken salad, which I have been making for eons, but not frequently.  It is a huge project.

At 1:00pm today, it will reach 61 for one hour, then drop, very cold, though some sun.  I forgot to prune the fig tree when it was a little warmer, so will do that today, and tomorrow DH can reach what I cannot.

Into the living room today to finish decorating there, and putting storage bins downstairs, then I will tackle the dining room.

Hope everyone enjoys the weekend.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have been using my late parents carbon steel wok for years.  Also a cast iron wok from my late grandparents.

So, I recently purchased two non-stick woks from Williams-Sonoma.   Best purchases ever for me.  

Tonight I’m cooking strir fry sliced New York steak with shiitake mushrooms in one wok.   Stir fried Lobster with sugar snap peas in the other wok.   Served with Sizzling Rice soup, and pork  fried rice.     Smiley Very Happy

Hung

Honored Contributor

@EatWell wrote:

I have been using my late parents carbon steel wok for years.  Also a cast iron wok from my late grandparents.

So, I recently purchased two non-stick woks from Williams-Sonoma.   Best purchases ever for me.  

Tonight I’m cooking strir fry sliced New York steak with shiitake mushrooms in one wok.   Stir fried Lobster with sugar snap peas in the other wok.   Served with Sizzling Rice soup, and pork  fried rice.     Smiley Very Happy

Hung

@EatWell  Sounds delicious, especially the lobster.

I had a wok with a copper bottom for eons, then I bought a nonstick at Macy's one year, and got rid of the other one, this one is great!  I also bought two woks on HSN from Chef Ming Tsai, mine is candy apple red, and the other was for DD, don't remember the color, these are also great.  I will probably use his today so there is lots of room for the rice sticks to puff up, his is larger than my other.