Honored Contributor

Is your mustard separating? Do you care?

We use French's yellow mustard and keep it in the frig.  It is separating every time we use it, thin watery stuff comes out first and soaks the bun.  Shaking doesn't work.  Yes, I can drain the liquid before it gets to the table, but the remaining mustard gets thicker each time we use it.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Is your mustard separating? Do you care?

Thats the water in the mustard and also catsup.  All you have to do is shake and it will blend with the other ingredients.  Your mustard is getting thicker because you are draining the water out of it.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Our mustard has always separated, we just shake it vigorously and it recombines the liquid into the mustard.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

I can still see the small glass jars of Gulden's mustard they used to have. Just stick a knife in and stir if you want (don't recall ever having to do that) and spread. Maybe not as sanitary but we never got sick from doing it! I prefer it.

Respected Contributor

I use Gulden's and yes, it separates. It says on the bottle to shake before using, so I do and it's okay.

Honored Contributor

Ketchup does the same thing..

Honored Contributor

I despise those plastic bottles that blob out and shoot the product all over when you try to get some.

I only buy local and store brands with the pointy tops in mustards now, and keep practicing my naughty words with the Ketchup.

Esteemed Contributor

Yep, shaking is how you emulsify the elements together again. One thing you could try is storing the mustard outside the refrigerator—it has enough acid in it that chilling isn't actually necessary, so if you're just using good ol' yellow mustard and don't require it to be cold in your preparations, you won't lose any flavor or have any worries in keeping it in a cupboard instead.

Honored Contributor

I just shake the heck out of it every time for as long as I can remember.  Do not mind what I hate is the crusty piece at the tip if you do not keep it wiped off. Yuck!

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Respected Contributor

Actually my mustard is not just separating, they're getting a divorceSmiley Sad