Super Contributor

Re: Is what I'm thinking of doing in poor taste? Be honest. I can take it.

There are those who want to help and don't know how. This is the perfect way to help. Just ask!

New Contributor

Any group that asks you to donate your resources, time and skills should not require you to also pay a fee to participate and/or for your meals. "Can you shop for the ingredients, bake four cakes and sell them for the fundraiser -- and the tickets to get in are $10.00."

Respected Contributor

On 6/5/2014 girlwithapearl said:

Any group that asks you to donate your resources, time and skills should not require you to also pay a fee to participate and/or for your meals. "Can you shop for the ingredients, bake four cakes and sell them for the fundraiser -- and the tickets to get in are $10.00."

While I've always thought that odd myself, it's pretty much how every church fundraiser I've been to has been. I know this so I expect to pay it. Many churches really do need the money.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Esteemed Contributor

I personally could not go to the church office and request reimbursement for the ingredients I used to prepare a donation to a fundraising event. After all, the church could frown on that for the very precedent they would be setting.

I do, however, think it a wonderful idea to (on your own) partner with another congregant (or do your parents go to the same church?) whereby they provide the ingredients and you provide the sweat equity.

Or you could reduce the monetary offering you make by the money you will spend on ingredients so you are not faced with a financial hardship.

Honored Contributor

No, that's not in poor taste. I think I would offer to volunteer to help in other ways instead of cooking. You mentioned there's an entry fee. Is this a competition? Can you offer to be a judge? Or help register people as they sign up or as they arrive on the day of the event?

I volunteer for a lot of things and I've never had to pay to be a volunteer at any event, only to be a participant in an event.