Trusted Contributor

Re: Is this too radical a twist on Easter dinner?

@Mary Bailey wrote:

My MIL often did pork roast or tenderloin for Easter.  That became the norm!  It was so good.

I also love a good pork roast.

I'm sure we can remember back when pork wasn't as lean as it is today, and when those pork roasts were so different and so good.

I always thought that my Mom made the best roast pork dinners too--she would roast peeled potatoes in with the roast, and then would make homemade gravy to go with the roast. Oh, yum!!

I also like pork tenderloin too, so I would enjoy house cat's Easter dinner.

This year, instead of making ham, I will be making a turkey breast for us. 

I would be delighted to be at your home for Easter dinner @house_cat . Heart

Respected Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

Just wanted to add that, when I lived in England, lamb was the traditional Easter meal.  So it seems there are no hard and fast rules.  No one decreed that only certain meats were acceptable for certain holidays.  (Vegetarians wouldn't want any!)

To me, the company is more important than what's put on the table.

@Venezia, YES!!!

"It isn't so much what's on the table that matters, as what's on the chairs"

W.S. Gilbert

Esteemed Contributor

@ I think your dinner will be great.  To the people horrified by having a non traditional meal at holidays or eating certain foods "out of season", really?  There are no rules or laws saying you can't have pork tenderloin as opposed to ham on Easter

One Christmas I asked DH and the kids what they wanted, they all said lasagna.  We had lasagna, salad and garlic bread. Son wanted chocolate cake with whipped cream frosting for dessert. 

I get the urge occasionally for a hotdog in the dead of winter.

Thanksgiving is turkey because that's what everyone enjoys and it's the only day I do a turkey dinner.

I agree with those who say it's the people not the food that is important. 

Regular Contributor

I would never complain or be disappointed in any dinner someone else is cooking.  I would just be happy and grateful I was invited.  I don't think your choice is too radical a twist for Easter dinner, but on the off chance that one of your guests feels that it is ~ maybe next holiday THEY will host the dinner and invite you.  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@house_cat  lol Almost as bad as the grilled baby lamb chops I've been serving for Thanksgiving for years now.

@millieshops for that I would ask you to set an extra place for me!

Honored Contributor

If someone else cooks for dinner-----I would feast on can soup and tuna sammies if thats what they had----sounds just fine to me. 

Super Contributor

Interesting comments. Most would be happy with anything & I suspose pork loin is less expensive for a crowd of 10. 

Easter is one of my very favorite holidays. My mom always had a wonderful meal for us. So for me, ham is what I would prefer.

For those that say it's about the company, it's about both. Easter is a celebration of great food & company. Enjoy.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

As usually happens to me, I just found out I'm hosting 10 people for Easter.

Sigh.

I'm thinking of cooking pork tenderloin instead of ham. 

If you were served pork tenderloin rather than ham on Easter would you be disappointed?

@house_cat  Fine by me, why not a pork tenderloin?  If you were gracious enough to invite me to Easter dinner and cook/serve a gorgeous pork tenderloin dinner, I would be thrilled.  Easter dinner is not just about what is on the table, but who is there to celebrate.

Super Contributor

ScarletDove, I hardly think anyone would complain, as has been mentioned. I don't know people that rude.  One would be polite and eat what was presented. Maybe not come again next year. Just saying.....

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@camelot wrote:

ScarletDove, I hardly think anyone would complain, as has been mentioned. I don't know people that rude.  One would be polite and eat what was presented. Maybe not come again next year. Just saying.....

@camelot  I have known people that rude and heard their words, although I edited comment to remove how I would handle complaint....