Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is this too radical a twist on Easter dinner?

Pork tenderloin is a wonderful choice! My former sister-in-law used to serve it for Easter with an apricot sauce ladled over the top and it was always so good!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you for all the positive feedback. I'm feeling better about things now.

For many years after moving to California, Easters were just DH and I. We made a tradition of taking a simple picnic and eating on a blanket in the park with our dog.  We loved it.

The last couple of years our group expanded to include my BFF whose children live out of state.  My son also moved back home, so then we were four people.

More recently, my niece started a doctoral program at a nearby university, so she and her boyfriend became part of our gang.

My husband's friend, a single dad, is now an empty-nester after raising three daughters, so he joins us, often with one of his daughters.

And to round it out, this year DH's cousin's son moved here from Ohio, so he and his roomate will be joining us.

It's a lot of work, but it's for a good cause.  I know how it feels to be alone in a city where everyone else seems to have family and a place to be.  If we can make them all feel welcome, then it's worth the trouble.

@I am still oxox

I expect I'll make three of them, which is really six thin tenderloins.  I'm the only fatty in the bunch, everyone else is super-skinny and they eat very little.  I like to make pork chow mein if I have any leftover, so that's not a problem.

@aroc3435 

You are the best cheerleader! Thank you!

And yes, the extra fridge is a real life saver!

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ahoymate wrote:

"Whatever you prepare will be fine"? Really? You think that GCR18? What happened to thinking of what your guests would enjoy?

@ahoymate- Are you serious?   Whatever happened to guests being gracious and thankful for someone else opening their home to them?

I'd hate to have you as a guest.  I'd feel I had to vet everything with you beforehand, so that it met your approval.

And I didn't know pork tenderloin was limited to a season.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have had it for my dinner, when my DH and I ate out last Friday!  (It was delicious.)

Plus, we eat ham at Christmas.  Guess we got that wrong, too.

Honored Contributor

Just wanted to add that, when I lived in England, lamb was the traditional Easter meal.  So it seems there are no hard and fast rules.  No one decreed that only certain meats were acceptable for certain holidays.  (Vegetarians wouldn't want any!)

To me, the company is more important than what's put on the table.

Honored Contributor

I have no expectations for a menu for Easter.  We went to church, went out to eat or came home and ate whatever we were going to have, lots of roasts on Sunday.

We didn't have any big gatherings on Easter.   It was just about going to church and, when I was really little, an Easter basket

Esteemed Contributor

As long as I don't have to cook, I'd be grateful.

Valued Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

As usually happens to me, I just found out I'm hosting 10 people for Easter.

Sigh.

I'm thinking of cooking pork tenderloin instead of ham. 

If you were served pork tenderloin rather than ham on Easter would you be disappointed?

Valued Contributor

I made pulled pork sandwiches for Thanksgiving one year as my son requested (he was sick of ham) and we all enjoyed the meal and mostly the family just getting together and spending time. I think pizza would be fine if it’s really about family... 😃

Esteemed Contributor

My MIL often did pork roast or tenderloin for Easter.  That became the norm!  It was so good.

Esteemed Contributor

No, I like pork tenderloin better than ham!!!! 😍