Honored Contributor

Is there any way to know how long a boxed food has set on a shelf at the store?

Depending on the store of course, some items could be questionable.  I wonder.

Honored Contributor

Re: Is there any way to know how long a boxed food has set on a shelf at the store?

Boxed and bagged foods should have an expiration date on them.    I have found "stuff" in the fresh cooler at Walmart that is way expired........Hollering, "I need a MANAGER" as loud as you can, really gets their attention!!!!!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Re: Is there any way to know how long a boxed food has set on a shelf at the store?

I don’t know that it’s possible, to find out how long a boxed product has actually been on specific store’s shelf, but boxed food items do have the usual manufacturing codes and expiration dates on the package, similar to what you would find on canned goods and bagged food items.  

Honored Contributor

Being here in the humid south, I don't keep boxed items very long.

I just assume they get "buggy" whether I can see them or not.

I keep some things in jars, like brown sugar that I don't use often.

Even if I take packages like soup mix and put them in a jar or other container unopened, I still don't trust them.   I try to use them up fairly quickly.    

As far as cost, most boxed items are not very costly and not worth saving.

If you live in a cold climate, not too humid, you can probably keep some things past the expiration date

Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Boxed and bagged foods should have an expiration date on them.    I have found "stuff" in the fresh cooler at Walmart that is way expired........Hollering, "I need a MANAGER" as loud as you can, really gets their attention!!!!!

Yes, buyer beware at WM.  I was shopping there a couple of weeks ago and wanted some brown spicy mustard.  So I'm looking at two different bottles by the same company and the labels were different and one was darker than the other.  I'm wondering what's the difference.  I picked up the darker one to examine it, and I noticed that it expired in 2014.

They had put a whole box of them on the shelf.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi

Also taking a picture of expired product and posting on store’s Facebook page. 

Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi

Also taking a picture of expired product and posting on store’s Facebook page. 

Such a shame, because it's really about stockers being too lazy to rotate the stock. Have found old stock pushed to the back of the shelf in just about every store. Wal-Mart certainly doesn't 'own' that one!

Yes, section managers do appreciate knowing this is happening, (maybe not at the top of your lungs LOL!) as it's directly contrary to every stockers basic job description.

Frequent Contributor

Not sure there's a way to find out when they put it on the shelf but I'm definitely a checker for expiration dates. When I find expired goods I give it to a employee. I even open containers that aren't sealed but have a seal under the lid, I'm checking to ensure that seal is still intact. I really hate it when produce is molded, the other day I was going through the sweet potato's and when I picked one up my fingers went right into mush cause it was molded - yuck!! 🤢

Esteemed Contributor

Oops!

Just wanted to add dry boxed foods don't usually' 'expire', but will have a 'Best By' date.

Most boxed foods will still be fine for a while past that date. Length of time depends on the ingredients/preservatives, and amount of moisture, like a cracker versus dried pasta.

Even with a package that's never been opened, eventually the fats will separate, texture will change, etc. It may look and smell fine, but when you start to chew you'll know it's not 'right' anymore. 

Super Contributor

thier best before date is written on it.