Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a dish you once made often............

@SandySparkles wrote:

Back when I was a meat eater, I always made baked beans. Whenever there was a function, it was requested and expected, that I would bring some. They were a heart attack on a plate, loaded with bacon, ground beef, butter, brown sugar, molasses, mustard, finely chopped jalapeno, red onion and sometimes just a hint of liquid smoke.. I generally used pork and beans, but sometimes added black beans, or pintos for added texture. The pan was always clean when we were done, and people would start requesting them for the next function. That type of cooking scares me now, and you could not pay me to make it.😂😂 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

I make killer baked beans that don't contain any meat or anything bad. I've never had baked beans with a bunch of stuff. Beans are a heathy part of our meal. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat  Thanks so much.  I appreciate you taking the time to answer me.

Honored Contributor

Every Thanksgiving, I'd be asked to make and bring a dish of creamed spinach surrounded by decorative piped mashed potatoes.  It came from a recipe in the Hallmark "Celebrate the Four Seasons" cookbook series.  I still have mine.

The potato-spinach puff is shown at the far right, center, of the book's cover.

Image result for hallmark "celebrate the four seasons" cookbook"

Another dish I used to make a lot as a newlywed was a polenta ring with chicken livers in the center.  I thought it came from the big orange Betty Crocker  cookbook but it's not in there.  I don't remember the source but now I'm going to have to do some searching.  The polenta was made in ring mold form and the chicken livers were cooked in a delicious sauce and placed in the center of the ring.  It was tastier than it might sound.  It seems to me, now, that there were a lot of chicken liver recipes back then!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

@SandySparkles wrote:

Back when I was a meat eater, I always made baked beans. Whenever there was a function, it was requested and expected, that I would bring some. They were a heart attack on a plate, loaded with bacon, ground beef, butter, brown sugar, molasses, mustard, finely chopped jalapeno, red onion and sometimes just a hint of liquid smoke.. I generally used pork and beans, but sometimes added black beans, or pintos for added texture. The pan was always clean when we were done, and people would start requesting them for the next function. That type of cooking scares me now, and you could not pay me to make it.😂😂 

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

I make killer baked beans that don't contain any meat or anything bad. I've never had baked beans with a bunch of stuff. Beans are a heathy part of our meal. 

Would you mind sharing you baked beans recipe @ID2 ?

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt