Honored Contributor

Is there a company - re: oven calibration

I know my oven is off (my stove is 4 years old) anyway, I bought a good oven thermometer.  Once the oven beeps that it's 350 degrees I put the oven thermometer in & it shows (without opening door checked through oven glass door) the temp was 250 degrees🙁

I took out the manual today & it doesnt doesn't say anything about adjusting temp.

When I lived in NJ I had gas stove & I could always call our utility company but in FL they don't offer this service.

Does anyone know how to calibrate it OR (I've put calls into appliance repair company - they don't do it) a company that does.

thankyou

Honored Contributor

Re: Is there a company - re: oven calibration

Would replacing the heating element solve this issue?   I’ve never heard of anyone calibrating an electric stove. 

Esteemed Contributor

I would first check your warranety. If it is still under that policy then I would contact both the manufacturer and the retailer.  If not, then I would call the appliance repair company.

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1

First, I would put the oven thermometer inside the oven to get a true temperature. Leaving it outside will give you a false reading.

I found these instructions

For models with a digipad (number pads):

• Press the BAKE and BROIL HI/LO pads at the same time for 2 seconds until the display shows SF.
  • Press the BAKE pad. A two digit number shows in the display. ...
  • The oven temperature can be adjusted up to (+) 35°F. hotter or (–) 35°F. cooler. Press the number pads the same way you read them. ...
  • When you have made the adjustment, press the START pad to go back to the time of day display. ...
Honored Contributor

@flickerbulb wrote:

@homedecor1

First, I would put the oven thermometer inside the oven to get a true temperature. Leaving it outside will give you a false reading.

I found these instructions

For models with a digipad (number pads):

• Press the BAKE and BROIL HI/LO pads at the same time for 2 seconds until the display shows SF.
  • Press the BAKE pad. A two digit number shows in the display. ...
  • The oven temperature can be adjusted up to (+) 35°F. hotter or (–) 35°F. cooler. Press the number pads the same way you read them. ...
  • When you have made the adjustment, press the START pad to go back to the time of day display. ...

"First, I would put the oven thermometer inside the oven to get a true temperature. Leaving it outside will give you a false reading."

She said that she read her thermometer through the oven window that was in the oven.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2

OF course the thermometer was IN the oven...What sense would it make if it was OUTSIDE🤔🤔🤔

thank you for those directions but it doesnt work (I have GE profile).

@flickerbulb

thank you for clearing that up!!

(sorry about "bold" iPad is having a moment!!)

Honored Contributor

My older GE Range lets you adjust the oven thermostat by pressing and holding the Timer "Hour +" and "Hour -" buttons and holding them for five seconds. You can then adjust the temps up or down by up to 35 degrees to compensate. GE highly recommends not using oven thermometers to calibrate your oven and instead rely on cooking time of known items. Oven thermometers can, in their words, vary by anywhere from 20-40 degrees from one thermometer to another. (Something I've noticed with thermometers by checking the readings of them on the store shelves. If you look at five thermometers on a store shelf you'll often find one or more give vastly different readings. When I buy one, it's usually one that agrees with the majority of the rest on the store temp.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

I know my oven is off (my stove is 4 years old) anyway, I bought a good oven thermometer.  Once the oven beeps that it's 350 degrees I put the oven thermometer in & it shows (without opening door checked through oven glass door) the temp was 250 degrees🙁

I took out the manual today & it doesnt doesn't say anything about adjusting temp.

When I lived in NJ I had gas stove & I could always call our utility company but in FL they don't offer this service.

Does anyone know how to calibrate it OR (I've put calls into appliance repair company - they don't do it) a company that does.

thankyou

You've opened the door and let heat out.

Put it in when you turn the oven on and check it once the oven beeps at you.  

If it's still off by 100 degrees, call GE and they can either help you calibrate it or suggest a repair person.

Honored Contributor

Thank you all.  I'm going to try it again!

I bought the CDN brand oven thermometer (as recommended by ATK to be the best).

Ok - this morning I pre-heated oven for 350 degrees with thermometer inside once beeped that was pre-heated it shows temp is 325 degrees. I did not open door (looked thru window) & placed in back lower rack as recommended by GE.

as someone said here best to just "check" whatever I'm cooking/baking (I more concerned about "over baking"). 

Thanks again!!!

Honored Contributor

@gardenman

thank you I am going to try this!  I called GE well those who think CS is bad here...don't call GE!!!

honestly, the rep acted like I was speaking another language & she was I could hardly understand what she was saying🙄🤔