Valued Contributor

Is the old Tupperware better than new?

Someone told me that but I was not sure if it was true. I needed a piece of it.....

thanks ladies so much if you know!

Honored Contributor

Re: Is the old Tupperware better than new?

I threw out all of my old and newer Tupperware and replaced it with Lock & Lock. L&L is far superior!!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

I wonder if it just seemed better because it was the best choice at the time. It was far superior to anything else sold 'back in the day'.

I still have some (very!) vintage Tupperware but I wouldn't use it for food storage. I even have some I purchased when I lived in Europe, that were made in Belgium.

Even though they used to tell us that it was airtight, and the round ones were also liquid tight, that's just not true.

Lock & Lock is far superior a product in every way, including affordability. Sure, it's a S. Korean company and they are made everywhere from there to China to Viet Nam. But it IS a quality product that really does what it says it does. (except I wouldn't put it in the microwave, except for the Borosilicate glass ones, like the vendor and hosts say)

Honored Contributor

You really should be using LnL, not Tupperware. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

Honored Contributor

In my opinion, the older Tupperware is much better than the new.

I have many vintage 1970's pieces (and the ones from the 50's and 60's as well) and I always thought the Servalier line (those ones with the accordion type lids that you push down in the middle) were their very best. I still use lots of those, as well as other types

Their really old stuff was great for back in the day, but there is so much stuff out there now that seals better.

As for Lock and Lock, it has it's place, but really is rather unattractive. Even the pieces with color or designs are rather institutional looking, and I really don't know why they haven't stepped up the look of the pieces.

Also, every single L&L bowl I've ever tried LEAKS. And I've tried many. The newer Lock and Lock is not as substantial as those from years ago either. The locking mechanisms are not as strong and the seals are much smaller and less effective. Of all the 'air tight water tight' brands out there, L&L used to be my favorite, but they aren't any better than other things on the market now. I only wish I had bought more back in the day when they were better, so I am very possessive of my older pieces.

Consider buying American made with Snapware.

Super Contributor

The old Tupperware has that chemical that causes cancer, I forget the name at the moment. I have read that all old Tupperware should be thrown out. I, too, am a former Tupperware user and now use only Lock n Lock. I love the new ones with the designs and the colored lids.

Edited -- Just checked on the internet. All Tupperware made before March 2010 has BPA. Anything made after that is BPA free. I would never use any old Tupperware and have read elsewhere that anything made before 2010 should be thrown away.

Super Contributor

Yes, the old tupperware contains BPA Smiley Sad I threw it all out & replaced it with L&L Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

On 1/5/2015 mominohio said:

In my opinion, the older Tupperware is much better than the new.

I have many vintage 1970's pieces (and the ones from the 50's and 60's as well) and I always thought the Servalier line (those ones with the accordion type lids that you push down in the middle) were their very best. I still use lots of those, as well as other types

Their really old stuff was great for back in the day, but there is so much stuff out there now that seals better.

As for Lock and Lock, it has it's place, but really is rather unattractive. Even the pieces with color or designs are rather institutional looking, and I really don't know why they haven't stepped up the look of the pieces.

Also, every single L&L bowl I've ever tried LEAKS. And I've tried many. The newer Lock and Lock is not as substantial as those from years ago either. The locking mechanisms are not as strong and the seals are much smaller and less effective. Of all the 'air tight water tight' brands out there, L&L used to be my favorite, but they aren't any better than other things on the market now. I only wish I had bought more back in the day when they were better, so I am very possessive of my older pieces.

Consider buying American made with Snapware.

I'm sorry you've had that kind of experience with L&L, MominOhio. I have to say that I've never had a leaking bowl or any other L&L. They've always maintained their airtight and liquid tight properties in the ten years I've purchased them.

I've also not seen a decline in quality with L&L. I have lots from over the last ten years (like maybe too many. heh) and have purchased pieces as recently as last month and the quality has never declined one bit in the pieces/sets I've purchased.

I do stay away from the ones with spouts and parts you can open in the seal because that definitely will make them not liquid tight. I do have a couple pieces like that and I won't use them for liquid or long-term storage.

Forgot to say - I did try some of the Snapware brand, just to see if it was as good as L&L and found it to not be as integrous as far as airtight OR liquid tight - especially liquid tight. They leaked. Not like a stream of liquid, but a constant drip if I was testing a piece by putting some water in it (like half-full), making sure the outside was completely dry, and putting it sideways or upside down for a while.

Valued Contributor

On 1/5/2015 ValuSkr said:

You really should be using LnL, not Tupperware. {#emotions_dlg.angry}

Thank you for your kindness.

Valued Contributor

All I have in Tupperware are canisters.....I will replace with glass thanks everyone.