Honored Contributor

Re: Is the nonstick in the Ninja PFOA/PFTE safe?

On 3/13/2015 Daysdee said:
On 3/11/2015 ThinkOutsideTheBox said: DOES contain PTFE? What the heck? Do companies not get that ingesting carcinogens is just not ok....nor yummy?! Thanks Kathya! I guess I am canceling my order. I will go buy the porcelain potted Lorena Garcia item at HSN instead. It is half the price too.

I don't have the item you are referencing, but I do have Lorena Garcia's ceramic cookware sets. Very happy with them. Clean-up is easy.

Lorena's cookware is lightweight and beautiful. They work for me. Love the white ceramic inside. Daysdee

Super Contributor

On 3/12/2015 Katey1261 said:

I had an issue with a few people on the Ninja 3 in 1 site on Facebook today. I ordered the Ninja last night unaware of the coating used in this cooking vessel. When I found out I posted about in on that site. Silly of me I know. I just thought there were others like me who didn't know and would like to know. Well some people called and QVC confirmed it does contain the Harmful Chemicals and some were cancelling their orders. These events caused some devoted Ninja users to call me a liar about these chemicals, saying their not harmful over 500 degrees and calling me a troll. I tried to explain myself and said I meant no harm. I will be cancelling my order because I wasn't informed of what was in this non stick.

Below is what was posted by:

Aurelia Dougan McCollom

MEMBERS...
I was in contact this afternoon with Ninja for this question: Do you know if the insert is PFOA/PTFE free? Their answer is: In regards to the materials that make up the pot; unfortunately we can’t claim that they are PTFE/PFOA. However, the material is not out of the ordinary for similar non-stick products. It has been tested by the FDA to be food safe as have all of our products and accessories that have food contact. The End!

Well, if it's FDA approved...Phew, what a relief, NOT!

Valued Contributor

Lorena's is ceramic coated aluminum. I know aluminum isn't good either, but since it is ceramic coated is that better? I am considering hers. HSN is having an all day cooking show tomorrow.
Honored Contributor

On 3/13/2015 AngelLove2 said: I ordered he TSV and tried to cancel on the same day. It was already in process. Can I refuse delivery? If so, what happens. I know QVC doesn't return the initial shipping.
Yes, you can. Just don't open it. Give it back to UPS and tell them to "return to sender".
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Kachina!
Super Contributor

I emailed the ombudsman ombudsman4599@euro-pro.com which is the only email address I could get for the company, requesting they make a stainless steel insert.

Interesting, I got to use the appliance today (I don't have one, it was at someone else's home) and I noticed that the browning function is WEAK. It cooked like a medium-low setting on a stovetop. Not that great for searing, that's for sure. It took forever. So I assume they programmed a LOW "searing" temperature because of the bad chemicals.

I didn't think anyone used those chems in cookware any more. - Bird

Valued Contributor

I have been reading a lot of articles and one said they were suppose to stop using them by 2015. Guess they didn't. QVC was in a hurry to ship them out as I couldn't cancel on the same day that I ordered. CS said they can process as soon as 2 hours after you place an order. Is that new?
Trusted Contributor

FYI--I called Cuisinart this morning and ask about their 4 and 6 quart multicookers and they are BPA free but NOT the other categories. The one that is safe is the $499 one they make.

So unless you pay the bug bucks, they are not even safe. Was looking at one online because of the thread I read here about Ninja

Super Contributor

On 3/11/2015 kathya1119 said:

I had the same problem with Calphalon when I called about a new cookware line they were introducing several years ago (I think it was the One line). They refused to tell me if the nonstick contained PTFE, and cited 'proprietary issues' -- basically, they acted as if I was an industrial spy, even though I'd explained that I was concerned for the health of our birds. I never bought a piece of Calphalon again. My last full set of cookware was Cuisinart stainless, purchased in Sam's (it's gorgeous -- I call it bling for my stove, and 14 pieces were only $140), augmented by a 3-piece set of frying pans from MarkCharles Masilli that's made with ceramic non-stick (and I wish I could find a larger frying pan in that same style -- I love them to death).

My daughter only buys stainless steel pots & pans..

Her husband was one of the Scientist who did studies

on non-stick pans... I do not believe the study is

completed but he will not have any non-stick items

in his home... We do use non-stick in our home either..

Trusted Contributor

On 3/14/2015 kjae said:

FYI--I called Cuisinart this morning and ask about their 4 and 6 quart multicookers and they are BPA free but NOT the other categories. The one that is safe is the $499 one they make.

So unless you pay the bug bucks, they are not even safe. Was looking at one online because of the thread I read here about Ninja

I found this on Bed Bath and Beyond under Q/Q's.

The nonstick coating is called Whitford Quantum 2. This is a ceramic type of coating. It is BPA free. It is also not Teflon.

<h1 class="housewares-subtitle2">Quantum2 for Cookware</h1>

Quantum2 is internally reinforced with a special blend of diverse ceramic materials. It provides a wider window of application tolerances and is more "user friendly". While the adhesion remains outstanding, Quantum2 has a smoother surface appearance and has high gloss. In addition, this system has superb abrasion resistance and oustanding nonstick performance.

Quantum2 is designed for surfaces which require nonstick properties and are subjected to abrasives or high wear.

Quantum2 for Bakeware

Quantum2 for Bakeware is internally reinforced with a special blend of diverse ceramic materials. While the adhesion remains outstanding, Quantum2 has a smooth surface appearance and has high gloss. In addition, this system has very good abrasion resistance and nonstick performance. The outstanding release is provided by silicone, not PTFE. Therefore, Quantum2 for Bakeware can be marketed as “Made without PTFE/PFOA”.

Quantum2 is designed for surfaces which require nonstick properties and are subjected to abrasives or high wear. Quantum2 for Bakeware is ideal for aluminum and phosphated carbon-steel substrates.