Super Contributor

Is it ok to REFREEZE a frosted cake?

I made and frosted a cake for my mom when I had the time and I put it in the freezer for the past 2 weeks. I took it out yesterday to thaw as we were heading there today. Well, the weather is awful and the roads are slick, so we have to put the trip off for 2 weeks. Can I put it BACK in the freezer or do we eat it now and I try to make a new one.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is it ok to REFREEZE a frosted cake?

Hi, babyb!

I don't think cake matters too much, although I think I would be able to detect an alteration in flavor & texture (even just once frozen). I did that with a zucchini bread once, and it was fine (other than when you know something has been frozen.)

But I have poultry sausage that I took out of the freezer and was going to do a soup.

Would I be able to re-freeze that?

Contributor

Why not. Wedding cakes sit in the freezer for a year and they're still good to eat.

Valued Contributor

It's just my opinion but, I would freeze it once, but not twice, if it's' been thawed out.
Honored Contributor

I've done it before but, of course, with caveats. Smiley Happy

I'm sure people here are tired of hearing how I store foods in the freezer, so I'll spare you. But I've gotten cakes that I didn't bake, but rather came frozen. I've let them thaw, then cut and froze some of the pieces, in the way that I store food in the freezer, and they've stayed perfectly pristine for as long as they've been in there.

I have some pieces of a very special cake I received for my birthday, just shy of 3 months ago, and they are in perfect condition. A week ago or less I had one piece and it was just as good as new.

Honored Contributor

On 2/8/2015 Harpa said:

Hi, babyb!

I don't think cake matters too much, although I think I would be able to detect an alteration in flavor & texture (even just once frozen). I did that with a zucchini bread once, and it was fine (other than when you know something has been frozen.)

But I have poultry sausage that I took out of the freezer and was going to do a soup.

Would I be able to re-freeze that?

Only if the sausage was precooked

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

One of my nieces worked in a bakery during high school. She said that bakery products can be frozen and refrozen as long as there is no sign of mold.

A lady who works at Wal-Mart told me that all their products like bread, Twinkies, etc. come in frozen. She said that is the way they are send from the manufacturer.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Yes, I would not hesitate to refreeze cake. It's not something in which bacteria abound.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Thank you all once again.

I just put the cake back in the freezer.

Valued Contributor

I've learned something here! In my above post, I said I would freeze cake twice. Not because I was concerned about any bacteria, but because of what it might do to the texture of the cake. Now that some of you have said you do refreeze cake, I'll try it sometime. However, why bother to wait until it totally defrosts to cut off only a portion or a small part of it? I'd just let it soften a little, cut what I want off of it, and put it back the the freezer.