Valued Contributor

Re: Is it Normal to see scratches/marring on Vitamix Container?

On 11/25/2014 Sharon N said:

FYI...Two VM demonstrators recommended drying the container after every cleaning with a microfiber towel and not air drying it. It helps eliminate cloudiness over time. One demonstrator has had his for a year (and he uses his container in the VM road shows) and it looks like new.

Vitamix plans to replace the shell of my container. It will take two weeks so I plan to do it after the Thanksgiving holiday. I can't imagine being without my machine for two weeks, but at least they are taking care of it for me. I also sent them pictures.

Sharon

Thanks for this tip. Smiley Happy I tend to let mine air-dry when I'm done cleaning it. I will remember to use a cloth.

Respected Contributor

Mine has it too, that machine does hard work and the foods you put in it does that also ice.

Its not going to be pristine for long so you should just use and love it.

Honored Contributor

Mine is scratched. Probably from making nut butters & ice cubes. Mine also has some green staining on it from green smoothies.

Respected Contributor

On 11/25/2014 LisaB said:

Mine has it too, that machine does hard work and the foods you put in it does that also ice.

Its not going to be pristine for long so you should just use and love it.

Yes, mine has scratches too. I remember posting about them when I first got my Vitamix. I wondered why they couldn't use a glass container so scratches wouldn't show. Someone reminded me that at such a high rate of spinning objects around, the glass container could easily break.

Now I just use it and don't worry about the scratches. Someone also mentioned you can use white vinegar to help with the cloudiness, but again, it's a functioning machine that I love, so I just don't worry about the appearance of the container any longer. I'm not sure I would give up 2 weeks without mine just to get another container that will again show scratches after the first few uses.

Occasional Contributor

I'm doing the "deep cleaning" step to see if the cloudy spots disappear (soak in 4 cups cool water and 4 cups of white vinegar for four hours, then perform a regular cleaning cycle). I prefer to do what I can at home before I have to send it in.

Due to the many great responses here (thank you!), I'm no longer concerned about the scratches. I told the VM CS rep the reason I was initially concerned was I didn't want my container to start retaining smells from foods due to the scratches, e.g., garlic and I thought the container was more scratch resistant. It's exactly two weeks today so I thought it would develop scratches, but over time. She said the smell retention shouldn't happen with natural scratches. From my research, the only way I've heard that happens if I use the wet container to grind a lot of grain (it will cause dings on the container).

Occasional Contributor

The cloudy spots are still there after the deep cleaning. I will be sending my container in after the Thanksgiving holiday. I wish I had an extra container, but I plan to order the 48 oz wet container either in Dec or Jan.

Regular Contributor

I got smoothie stains on my Vitamix that were probably complicated by hard water. I tried vinegar, that helped a little, I tried clorox, that didn't have any effect. After googling "removing stains from vitamix" I found a site- Everyday Tastiness that had the following solution:

Pour 1 cup vinegar in container, add 1/4 c baking soda. It will bubble up, let sit until bubbling subsides. Then add 2 cups water (I used warm) and let run on high for 5-7 minutes. I then let that sit for 2 hours. Rinse, and if any stains remain, I used a soft bottle brush and they were easily removed. I then filled the container with water, and a couple of drops of detergent and cleaned and rinsed as normal.

Regular Contributor

One last thought, if you are considering buying an additional container, you may want to check the Vitamix site on Black Friday, last year they had all containers on sale for $50. Don't know if they will do that again this year, but its worth checking out

Super Contributor

Sharon, I'm glad you started this thread. My VM container has very minor marring and/or scratch like marks on it. They show up when I use chocolate protein powder to make a smoothie. Also, my container is cloudy. I had intended to call VM, however, now I see I'm not the only one. I had also wondered about why the containers were not made of glass - so, thanks to the person who posted the reason why glass is not used.

Occasional Contributor

@ Laro: Thanks for the update on the containers. I saw the special. It's very tempting, but I don't have any extra funds until possibly Jan. I just purchased my Vitamix and dry container two weeks ago so I need to take a little break with spending. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} I did purchase my dry container for $50 on QVC. I was so glad for the discount! I haven't used it yet, but I plan to try it out soon. I'm not a baker, but now that my wet container will be gone for two weeks, I may try out the dry container and bake some bread.