Honored Contributor

Is forged aluminum the same as hard anodized?

I have had the best luck with hard anodized cookware, but it seems no one is showing it anymore.  Now its forged aluminum.  Why is hard anodized no longer being sold in the new lines?

Honored Contributor

Re: Is forged aluminum the same as hard anodized?

Probably because it's cheaper.

Hard anodyzed has a more even appearance and uniform cooking surface.

Home goods has great pots and pans made in Europe. I've always found such good ones there.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass wrote:

I have had the best luck with hard anodized cookware, but it seems no one is showing it anymore.  Now its forged aluminum.  Why is hard anodized no longer being sold in the new lines?

There is a wide variety of hard anodized cookware on Amazon.

“The fear of becoming old is born of the recognition that one is not living now the life that one wishes. It is equivalent to a sense of abusing the present.” Susan Sontag
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just turned on Curtis Stone, he is selling cast aluminum, looks just like forged aluminum.  This stuff reminds me of the Club Aluminum my mother had when I was a kid.  Maybe that's why I'm so turned off, of course the Club Aluminum didn't have non-stick coating and meat stuck like crazy.  

Now I see the handles get hot and you are supposed to buy those silicone ear things he sells.  Totally turned off at this point.  Off to Amazon as above poster recommended.

Respected Contributor

@depglass  I Miss the Club ware.  My mom had a full set.  I only have the dutch oven now.  I still use it often. 

Honored Contributor

@depglass I have a couple of Curtis Stone durapans and like them, but according to my husband, they eventually start sticking a bit.  He still cooks his eggs in them, and it's not a big problem, but they aren't forever.  The one pan I have replaced the large Kirkland's Signature (aka Costco) Hard Anodized pan from a set I bought many years ago.  The rest of the set still looks mostly like new.  It's probably that I like to use high heat in the large pans that cause them to eventually give out.  But, I do atually prefer the Hard Anodized over the Curtis Stone for long life and durability.  

Regular Contributor

Years ago I bought a couple of different sets of hard anodized from Todd English when he first came to HSN. These have been the best pans I have ever used and they are still going strong. I wish he would have stuck making them instead he went to greenpan-style pans and they were horrible. I wish the hard anodized he sold were still available.