Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone else turned off by the twofers, threefers and fourfers?

@loriqvc Thanks.  I got to thinking earlier when you said how easy it was that it was probably something like cornbread.  I'm like why do people buy cornbread mix?  It's just cornmeal, an egg, some oil, and some milk or buttermilk.  I actually hate Jiffy Mix.  It's sweet.  Cornbread should not be sweet.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess - Yep, cornbread is another of those nice go-to recipes that doesn't require much to attain deliciousness. The main "difficulty" in making white gravy is that you have to keep stirring it to keep it from getting lumpy and congealed. That's about it. It's also a recipe that most people have the ingredients for on hand all the time. Happy cooking and baking!

Honored Contributor

No, last year I bought 3 knife sharpeners and ended up keeping two and gave one away.  I know what you mean.  It would be nice to buy just ONE.

kindness is strength
Valued Contributor

Some things can be useful. I got the two throws because I can be wahsing one and using the other, or use one in Winter, one in Spring. But yeah 3-6 small items like shears or wine caps. Nope don't want. Two might suffice with one as a backup. But that's it.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

With the items from Mark Charles, it depends on the item.  Now with the 4 shears in a set, I'm wondering if the quality is way down.  I have a couple of sets of these when they came in set of 2 and I use them all the time and I am super happy with them.  I did gift two a few years ago; one is probably still in use if they can find it and the other must have gone in the garbage can.  I really do like them for opening all my boxes from ordering online; opening container of batteries, some light trimming in the garden, etc.   The set of 4 "plastic microwave cups" did not interest me.  Too large.  I have several Sistema and they are so handy, but these were too large and I could not think of anyone who would like them for a gift.  I don't give to the mailman, garbage man, UPS person, etc.  I think my hairdresser prefers a larger tip rather than a gift of something she doesn't need. 

Respected Contributor

I agree that the need to buy three to get the one you want is annoying, but understand they're trying to make a minimum average sale. That's why I'll look at Amazon and eBay for certain products, where that kind of thing is less frequent--although Amazon gotten annoying with its pricing. Often their twofers and threefers are much more expensive than the single-item price. I never understand why someone would pay $35 for 3 when one alone is $7.

Anyway, before you singletons write off those BOGOs at the supermarket, check the fine print in the flyer or ask customer service what one alone costs. At my store, it's half price if it's a BOGO listed without the requirement to buy two. People don't seem to  know that, and it's worth finding out, because 50% off something you want/need is sweet. Note that you have to use your courtesy/loyalty card to take advantage of this policy, at least in my store.

Valued Contributor

Not usually, but this time of year it is good for gifts. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat wrote:

Sometimes I'd be inclined to buy something from QVC, but I don't want TWO or THREE or FOUR of them..... like the Hover Covers I saw the other day, or can openers, kitchen shears... you name it.  I don't want to give them as gifts to my mailman or bus driver or dog walker.  

I just want ONE.

I guess it's not cost-effective for QVC to ship them that way, but seriously, you can talk until you're blue and I'll never be convinced that I need multiples.

Am I the only one turned off by that sales tactic?

@house_cat

Doesn’t bother me at all.

How about donating the extras you don’t want/need to a worthy cause?  Like Salvation Army, homeless shelter, senior or rehab center, your church/temple?  To a person in need?  I will also gift the extras and pay it forward to friends or family.

Hung

Frequent Contributor