Honored Contributor

Is anyone else turned off by the twofers, threefers and fourfers?

Sometimes I'd be inclined to buy something from QVC, but I don't want TWO or THREE or FOUR of them..... like the Hover Covers I saw the other day, or can openers, kitchen shears... you name it.  I don't want to give them as gifts to my mailman or bus driver or dog walker.  

I just want ONE.

I guess it's not cost-effective for QVC to ship them that way, but seriously, you can talk until you're blue and I'll never be convinced that I need multiples.

Am I the only one turned off by that sales tactic?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Is anyone else turned off by the twofers, threefers and fourfers?

Seems to me the whole retail world is into 2 or 3 per sale.  It makes economic sense to me but it just doesn't work for my single household either unless the item is something I can store and use later - assuming I can even find storage space in my small quarters.

Where the concept does irritate me is that I pretty much have had to give up on grocery coupons -  3 boxes of cereal would last for 6 months - unless I ate the same thing every day.  And BOGO's for many kinds of items are totally worthless to me unless maybe I can donate the second to my local foodbank.  That doesn't work at all for perishables.

The older I get, the more I really understand why statistics show living alone is about a third more expensive than living as a couple although I'm pretty certain that applies more for us old folks than for young couples building a family history together.

Esteemed Contributor

Yes - with you on this.  Haven't paid attention if they raise the price when you get 3 instead of 2 - - I guess just collect them and add the extras pieces to your Spring lawn sale. 

I just gave a bunch to charity - along with most of MarkCharles dumb trinkets.  Why did I buy them - I'll never know!

Super Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Sometimes I'd be inclined to buy something from QVC, but I don't want TWO or THREE or FOUR of them..... like the Hover Covers I saw the other day, or can openers, kitchen shears... you name it.  I don't want to give them as gifts to my mailman or bus driver or dog walker.  

I just want ONE.

I guess it's not cost-effective for QVC to ship them that way, but seriously, you can talk until you're blue and I'll never be convinced that I need multiples.

Am I the only one turned off by that sales tactic?

NO, you are NOT!!  I resent shopping channel hosts telling me I have to buy mulltiples and then give them away.  They've become spoiled by getting freebies and perks working for QVC and befriending the vendors they bend over backwards for. They and Management should know how ridiculously annoying they all are!

Honored Contributor

Agree with the above.  I really like it--LOL-- when if I buy 4 of a supermarket item, it may be 99 cents each but one is $1.99.  I spend a lot of time reading the labels.

I also agree about the clothing.  HSN has a lot of twofers.  I don't want to spend $19.99 for 2.  Give me one for $10.

I'm assuming they have so much inventory, they just want to get rid of it.  Lowering the price might help!

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

That's one reaon I like Amazon you can usually find things like that in singles at good prices.  I don't have a big enough gift closet for multiples of things.  I don't have a gift closet period.

Frequent Contributor

Yes I agree with you.   I notice this with the beauty products.   I don't want 4 lipsticks for $70+ but maybe would have bought one.

Esteemed Contributor

This is such a pet peeve of mine. I get particularly irked when it applies to clothing items. HSN does this a lot with Slinky tops, where one of them is the color I want, but the 2nd top is something I'd never choose. I want the navy top but I don't want the lime green top that has been paired with the navy! I don't want the BOGO or two or three bottles of shampoo - I don't have the room to store them all. All I want is one!

Honored Contributor

@house_cat

absolutely agree but lately I don't want 1 of anything Q has offered this holiday season.  

Plus, it's so ridiculous the "list" of who I should gift!  Although, today I met my Amazon delivery man I happened to be out front...hmmm he delivered me 6 boxes maybe I should "gift" him...that's being sarcastic of course!!!😉

Super Contributor

I also agree. The TSV today is a good example. I would really love to have ONE of the wine aerator/seal sets, but I don’t need three, nor do I have three people to gift the others to. And I don’t keep a random gift closet. 

I will say, however, that today’s TSV is actually a great deal. I took some time to see what it would cost to purchase just one aerator and one seal (in the real world, not just QVC’s comparable value)and it would cost  $21+ for both. I asked Santa for them one of each.

Holiday Hugs . . . .Beth

Life is tough, but I am tougher!!