Contributor

Is anybody else disappointed in this year's shipment of FL honeybells?

We received our honeybells last week, and we were very disappointed in the appearance. No, they are not covered with many blemishes, but rather they are on the small side, are pale orange or some mostly green, and don't have their "trademark" shape. Also, some are on the sour side. I know that the fruit depends on Mother Nature, but am just curious to know how everyone else's are. (This was our auto delivery from a delicious order we received last year.) Tonight's presentation for the AZ Honeybells showed them with the "trademark" shape, and were a brilliant orange hue (maybe I need to adjust the color of my TV to match my FL honeybells!).

New Contributor

Re: Is anybody else disappointed in this year's shipment of FL honeybells?

I received 2 boxes last week. One box was fine - large fruit, orange color, etc. The other box was terrible. Small fruit, blemishes, mostly green color, sour and lots of seeds. I called and they are refunding my money.

Respected Contributor

Re: Is anybody else disappointed in this year's shipment of FL honeybells?

It has been a very bad year for Florida Citrus. Over on the Eastern side of the state where there are major commercial groves, there was an inordinate amount of rain. When that happens, the sugars in the fruit dilute and the taste is bland. Production wise, we are at an all time low because of a disease called "Greening". The fruit is safe to eat, but it doesn't reach full maturity. Believe me when I tell you our citrus farmers and the Fl Dept of Agriculture is terrified. At this time, there is no cure. Poodlepet2