Honored Contributor

Re: Is There Any "Summer" Food You Didn't Get Around To Make???

I only made one batch of homemade ice cream.  

Trusted Contributor

Watermelon

Honored Contributor

We haven't grilled one single steak yet this year.  It's been hard to find decent steaks where I live, so I've given up taking chances.  I did do a special request to store owner years ago, he gave me some that he had ordered for his family.  Absolutely prime beef, but it was 25.00 a lb. Unfortunately this family retired.

Esteemed Contributor

@depglass wrote:

We haven't grilled one single steak yet this year.  It's been hard to find decent steaks where I live, so I've given up taking chances.  I did do a special request to store owner years ago, he gave me some that he had ordered for his family.  Absolutely prime beef, but it was 25.00 a lb. Unfortunately this family retired.

@depglass  We have been looking for good ribeyes for at least two years. I have paid as much as $24.99/pound, and have been very disappointed. The steaks just don't have flavor, even when grilled to perfection. We finally found a local farm that sells grass fed and grain finished local beef. They set up at a local seasonal farmers' market. They call them Delmonico steaks, so I'm guessing they are similar to ribeyes. Shape isn't quite the same. The flavor is beyond great and and they are tender and well marbled! The best part is the price.$13.95/pound! I'm not telling anyone, because they have a limited supply. I would check with local producers if I were you.

Honored Contributor

There was and still is a lot of food I either didn't make or eat this summer b/c I had dental implant surgery and my diet is all soft food which most of it has been put through a food processor so I can eat it. I sure do miss my chips and homemade salsa!!

Respected Contributor

Fried green tomatoes

Honored Contributor

@JYWilliams wrote:

Fried green tomatoes

@JYWilliams 

You and DH!!!  I can't do tart at all!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@depglass   @PA Mom-mom   We can’t find great steaks either.  I thought it was us. Grocery stores, several specialty butchers, sams club,  I’ve paid 10-24 a pound and so many ribeyes are not tender or are full of grisel.  We have about given up.  I got two ribeye steaks a few weeks ago. (Service counter grocery store 22.99/lb.) We shared one, awful.  A different meal, the other one was the same.  $51, (crazy) and there was zero flavor.  Well marbeled,  but the marbeling was grisel, not fat, which usually adds to the flavor. And tough!   We don’t over cook them, and really never marinated steaks in the past......so the hunt is still on.  Maybe I have to give up my previous favorite ribeyes and try filets.  

So disappointed.  I was thinking of trying Omaha steaks, but never had one.  I just think meat in general is not as good like years ago.