Honored Contributor
On 4/28/2015 Sooner said:
On 4/27/2015 house_cat said:

The jury's still out, in my opinion. I've had mine about a month. There's nothing wrong with it, but so far I haven't seen anything fabulous about it, except for how pretty it is. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I haven't done an oven roast yet. That might convince me that it's extraordinary.

What were you expecting it to do? It' just a cooking pot. . . ???

I was expecting it to perform better than the ones I own that cost 1/4 of the price. So far, I've only made soups in it. It was very nice to use and it's so pretty that it makes me smile, but I don't know if it's that much better than my other pots. I think it's going to outshine the others, though, when I make an oven roast or stew. I'm looking forward to that.

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor
It's great for cooking and I love the two pieces that I have had for years but now that I am older and my shoulder was hurt I don't use it because of the weight. I may give it to my grandson in a few years. I do miss it!
Respected Contributor
It is well worth it and they last forever!
Sleep sweet Bo 3/19/08 8/4/18
Honored Contributor
On 4/3/2015 snoops said:

Yes, but as someone said, it sure is heavy.

..and can't use them on glass top range. Another downer. I have quite a bit that I have collected over the years but it will almost give you a hernia to lift a Dutch oven full of food. Great stuff, just like Grandma's cast iron skillet but pretty.

Honored Contributor

You can use them on a glasstop range without any issues. I've done it myself.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

I went to Kohl's on Sunday and they had a 3.5 qt. (can't handle the heavier 5 qt) porcelain-lined cast iron oven baler. It was a discontinued Food Network one so was half off of $69. Then I got an extra 15% off because it was on display with no box, and had a coupon for 20% off....super deal. Easy to clean, easier to handle, a fine purchase.

Trusted Contributor
On 4/28/2015 house_cat said:

The jury's still out, in my opinion. I've had mine about a month. There's nothing wrong with it, but so far I haven't seen anything fabulous about it, except for how pretty it is. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

I haven't done an oven roast yet. That might convince me that it's extraordinary.

I was expecting it to perform better than the ones I own that cost 1/4 of the price. So far, I've only made soups in it. It was very nice to use and it's so pretty that it makes me smile, but I don't know if it's that much better than my other pots. I think it's going to outshine the others, though, when I make an oven roast or stew. I'm looking forward to that.

Great comeback to her SNARKY comment!!!

Honored Contributor
On 4/28/2015 house_cat said:

I don't think the issue is specifically about performance but longevity. If you read around the internet there are tons of complaints regarding the longevity of the enamel in the lower end enameled cast iron. Complaints of chips, excessive wear and heavy staining are pretty common in the Martha Stewart and Mario Batali lines. I haven't read the same complaints about the Lodge or Tramontina enameled cast iron but both are made in China. Lodges bare cast iron is made in the USA but not their enameled line.

Contributor

I, too, use LC on a glass cooktop, without incident.

I feel one other "rule" about caring for LC is not necessarily valid---not washing in the dishwasher. My largest pieces go in the dishwasher all the time, because they are too heavy to wrestle with during handwashing. Don't notice any ill effects from breaking the rules.

Honored Contributor

It's not against the rules to wash in the dishwasher ( although I don't put any pots or pans in mine)

From the LC site

All pans with integral cast iron, phenolic handles or stainless steel knobs can be washed in the dishwasher. However, constant dishwashing may lead to some dulling of the enamel finish. This is not harmful and will not impair performance. When using the dishwasher always allow the cycle to finish before opening the door. This will ensure the pans are dried thoroughly.

Pans with metal handles can be washed in the dishwasher, but this greatly reduces the development of a patina; as a result, grills and skillets will require oiling for a longer period. Pans with wooden handles are not dishwasher-safe.