Honored Contributor

Re: Is Le Creuset Cast Iron Worth It?

@VaBelle35 Exactly. We rarely eat out and I cook from scratch 95% of the time. I also started out buying cheap throw away cookware when I was young and really appreciate the quality cookware I have now. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Contributor

It is 100% worth it.  I have several pieces in different colors because they're all so nice.  They retain heat, cook evenly, wash up easy, and heirloom kitchen quality.  I'm putting my Le Creuset in my will and handing it down.  It will last forever.

Trusted Contributor

Good that you asked this question, @Phelina, because the answers are interesting. For what's it's worth, I feel that whether it's worth it or not depends totally on what your needs and priorities are. 

I have Le Creuset pans that I passed along to my daughter, and she will probably use them forever. They do cook beautifully and if treated well are easy to maintain. 

I recently fell in love with starting things on the stovetop and finishing them in the oven, but I use a countertop oven, so needed a pan without a long handle. I invested in a new "tarte Tatin" pan from Le Creuset. I'll never wear it out, but it's a definite pleasure to work with, whether for meat or quiche or even tarte tatin! It's not so easy to find a pan that can transition well from stove to oven, and I'm delighted with it.

That said, I'd probably have gotten something less extravagant had I found just the size I wanted. I paid about $75 for a 10" diameter pan.

So your answer lies in whether you most value economy, durability, beauty, or a particular aspect of performance. For me it was worth it to have one pan from them. Your equation could be different.

Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I have and love Staub but MIL has Le Creuset and loves it. I don't think you can wrong it just remember that the larger pieces can be quite heavy when empty, so adding food.....yeah.

Honored Contributor

I love the tart tatin pan, it's one of the first LC pans i bought. It's great for upside down cakes too. You can use it for so many things. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval