Respected Contributor

Re: Is Corelle a thing of the past?

Publix carries some all-white Corelle.

Honored Contributor

we used to have a kitchen supply outlet store nearby that had a huge wall filled with corelle pieces. they closed though about two years ago.

i used to have a few corelle pieces, but have you ever broken one? it creates a HUGE mess of tiny shards all over the place. after that happened twice, i gave away all of my corelle items.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Not a thing of the past for me.  I was all in on Longaberger pottery for many, many years.  I even became a consultant just so I could buy it at a discount.  I still have a ton of solid ivory for when we have company and sit in the dining room (no legit china here) and I have an equally large set of the Traditional Holly for November thru January.  I did, however, replace my everyday Longaberger this year with plain, white Corelle and we LOVE it.  The Longaberger had just gotten too heavy for us.  I did pare down to a service for eight, in my Corelle, and everything fits neatly on two shelves in one cabinet. It's lightweight, cleans easily, and works with any kind of tablescape (I like to dress my table with seasonal tablecloths and napkins).  I also replaced my everyday bakeware with Corningware Blue Cornflower that I've picked up thru Marketplace or local sales.  I'm happy as a clam. 

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom wrote:

@depglass  I buy mine at the local ShopRite. Sometimes they even have it on sale! White is my favorite, because it mixes in with other dishes. Their supply goes up and down, but it's always there.

My Shop Rite also carried Corelle. And when there were supply issues, they moved a large display of Corelle into the pasta and pasta sauce aisle.

I am so sorry I got rid of my Corelle and bought a Lenox set of dishes. The Lenox are so heavy but I still really like them. I am torn that I should get rid of the Lenox and buy Corelle again.

Esteemed Contributor

I've seen it recently at my local Wal-Mart.  The set I have now was purchased about 25 years ago.  Even though it's in excellent shape, I'm kind of tired of it and would like to replace it eventually.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

I was in my Walmart on Sunday and there was plenty of it.

Honored Contributor

I had it in 1972, all white.  A few years later got rid of it because my husband didn't like the way forks felt on it (it's glass) and since have had many patterns--dishes are my thing.

Now we eat mostly out of a variety of flat soup plates and bowls of many sizes because the way we eat now lends itself to that more than flat plates.

We also use salad/dessert plates in Butterfly Meadow because they are lighter weight, great shape, and dishwasher friendly.  Along with Apilco and Villeroy and Boch misc. pieces.

Honored Contributor

I only have a few odd pieces but, like the others, I don't think it's going away.  It has always been very popular, as it's a very nice product.  I like that there are sooooo many choices, so there's something for everybody.

I still have Fiestaware for my dishes and don't expect that to change at any point.   Yeah, they're heavy but I can still handle one or two pieces at a time easily.    

If I didn't use Fiestaware, I'd probably find a nice Corelle design and be very happy with them.   The main thing I tend to be concerned about with any given company that always made quality merchandise is being sold to a company that dumbs down, or completely ruins, the quality.  (think Kitchenaid and I'm sure there are others)

Valued Contributor

I do not know what is going on but I can tell you that at a consignment store that is near by I have seen that Corelle and Corning items are big sellers.

Honored Contributor

I doubt Corelle is passe'.  It's one of the few light plates that children can set the table with!