Honored Contributor

Re: Is Any Canned Pineapple Not from China?

[ Edited ]

@Nightowlz   No longer there.  Pulled out of Hawaii.  At least by the early 1990's.   Other countries grow pineapples.  When they were there, they were one of biggest land owners in Hawaii.  Land is expensive there I heard.  1-2 million dollars for 1/2 acre (ocean front prime neighborhood)  Lower for high risk land (lava) 

I couldn't live there.  The daily rain would be a nuisance and you have to import so many things.

Respected Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@sunshine45  That's what I'm going with.  I haven't bought pineapple or mandarin oranges for a very long time because all I saw came from China. 

@sunshine45 wrote:

i have cans of dole pineapple in 100% pineapple juice.

they are from the phillipines.

i have libbys 100% pineapple juice.

that says "bottled in the USA."

i also have pineapple CIROC. Smiley LOL

we had the chance to visit  and tour the dole plantation in hawaii last year and enjoyed it. it was a nice day trip.

@Sooner    @sunshine45   Is there a problem with the pineapple from China????  If so, what problems, the taste, the texture or exactly what?    I don't remember seeing any canned fruit from China to begin with..

China has very lax regulations pertaining to pesticides and herbicides.  It is common to use raw sewage as fertilizers.  I am avoiding ALL CHINESE imported foods and checking labels of counry of origin.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

I always thought the bulk of it came from Hawaii, but maybe that was years ago. I know there is/was a HUGE Dole Pineapple plant there.

@World Traveler 

There was. Is it no longer there? I have been to it. Lived in Hawaii in the 60's. 

@Nightowlz 

In 1898, Alfred W. Eames of California formed what would become Del Monte Fresh Produce. In 1901, James Drummond Dole formed Dole Hawaiian Pineapple Company. In 1909, Maui Land and Pineapple was formed. These three companies would become giants in the pineapple industry.

By 1930, nine million cases of pineapple were exported out of Hawaii by eight different canneries. In the 1960s, Hawaii was responsible for 80 percent of the world's pineapple.

Today, pineapple is still grown in Hawaii, but times have changed. Hawaii is no longer a profitable place to grow and process pineapple - there are much cheaper places to do so. Currently, Hawaii produces only two percent of the world's pineapple.

Del Monte Fresh Produce has announced that in 2008, it will cease its pineapple production in Hawaii leaving only Maui Land and Pine and Dole to the industry.

Pineapple is the only fresh produce that you can take back to the continental United States via the airlines from Hawaii.

https://www.to-hawaii.com/agriculture.php

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein