Respected Contributor

Re: Instead of salt - which spices do you choose?

The thing to remember is that after awhile, your taste buds will adjust to no salt, and you will no longer miss it.........really.  It's hard at first, but after awhile you begin to really taste the food because it's not masked with the salt.  Eventually, anything with added salt will be gross to you.

Having said that, I'll add that I'm a huge user of fresh groung black pepper and red pepper flakes.  Aside from loving hot food (you build a tolerance), pepper is very good to keep your metabolism running hot!

Laura loves cats!
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good suggestions.

As others have said, fresh lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, fresh minced garlic, Fresh cracked black pepper or 3 pepper, granulated garlic powder, cayenne pepper, white pepper, smoked paprika, cumin, thyme, sage, madras curry powder, red pepper flakes, onion powder, chili powder.

Fresh cracked Himalayan Pink Sea Salt has a little less sodium than regular salt, and you only need a little. and it has health benefits. Wal Mart even sells it...

http://fitlife.tvhttp://fitlife.tv/10-amazing-benefits-of-pink-himalayan-salt/10-amazing-benefits-of...

Honored Contributor

I'm wondering - do you use table salt in your cooking, or do you use Kosher or sea salt?   

The reason I ask is that with Kosher or sea salt you get much more flavor with much less salt.

I use all kinds of seasonings - the ones that appeal to me.  But YMMV in that regard so you shoujld probably decide what types of seasonings or herbs appeal to you.   But I also use salt.  I stopped using 'table salt' many years ago in lieu of Kosher and sea salts.  It takes VERY little to give a push in flavor.

Another place, of which I imagine you are already aware, is to limit or discontinue use of any processed type foods.   That is where a lot of excess sodium will be found.  Smiley Happy

Contributor

My favorite is herbs de provence... I use it in practically everything

Honored Contributor

I gave up consuming sodium when I developed HBP during my first pregnancy 34 years ago. I don't miss it one bit. I don't use anything special with my spices. Just use everything the recipe calls for but I just omit the salt. My family loves my cooking. My kids grew up sodium free. Salt is an acquired taste, the more you have the more you want.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Jane's Crazy Mixed Up Salt & the same name but for pepper too. I think it helps, not sure.

Not that these are salt replacements!!

Honored Contributor

@Zhills, how do you roast your vegetables? I haven't ever done this and for our health, I really should be doing this. What/how is the best way you've found to do this? Reason I've never done it, I prefer my veg's in a salad, but some I do like hot. Thanks!

Respected Contributor

Sunny Paris from Penzeys Spices is my favorite for most things.

Esteemed Contributor

I've not used a lot of salt since I started cooking. I prefer using herbs (mainly dried) and freshly ground pepper. I prefer the goumet blend of peppercorns but either works well. I always keep parsley, oregano, basil, cumin and chili pepper stocked. I did buy the set of RR spice blends that have sea salt mixed in with the spices and they are good. My tip is to use them with a light hand because they have flavor so you don't need a ton of any of them to flavor your food.  

Esteemed Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@Zhills, how do you roast your vegetables? I haven't ever done this and for our health, I really should be doing this. What/how is the best way you've found to do this? Reason I've never done it, I prefer my veg's in a salad, but some I do like hot. Thanks!

The best advice to give you is to google the veggies you want to roast, both for the veggie type and seasonings.  The basic thing is to chop up veggies into smaller pieces, spread out on a flat surface (I use a cookie sheet lined with foil), add a bit of oil, season, and bake.  So easy.  And so good.  That's our favorite way to make veggies now.  You will love them that way.