Honored Contributor

Instead of salt - which spices do you choose?

I'm cutting back on salt, but I really do miss it.

I don't want to use unnatural substitutes.

Which herbs and spices do you add in place of salt?

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Instead of salt - which spices do you choose?

I use a lot of the salt-free blends from Penzeys Spices.  Not cheap, but well worth it.  Not all their blends are salt-free, but you would be surprised at how tasty the blends make your food.  You don't miss the salt.

Respected Contributor

I use a lot of freshly ground pepper. 

Respected Contributor

I agree about pepper, my all time favorite is oregano, love it & of course garlic

Honored Contributor

I use a lot of curry, garlic, tumeric, and ginger - not all together!

Curry is great on popcorn, sweet potatoes, and all kinds of things. Indian food uses a lot of aromatic and delicious spices, so you might want to check out a cookbook of Indian dishes.

Honored Contributor

Lemon

Dried celery

Bragg's Aminos or miso is good, but with a light hand.

Trusted Contributor

Love Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute in lieu of using salt.  AND, it's only $1.99!!!!  I also use herbs, lemon and lime more to give more flavor to my food.  Since cutting back on the use of salt, I now enjoy the taste of the food itsel-- like I really love Utz No-Salt Potato Chips.

Esteemed Contributor

I have started roasting my vegetables and find that most of them do not need salt. 

If you had told me I could eat Broccoli without salt, I would have laughed at you, until I roasted it.

Honored Contributor

I use and love a lot of heat so besides black pepper I daily use Tony Chachere and a Cajun spice bottle from the spice aisle. 

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

Oh my - we use TONS of all sorts of spices although I will admit we do still use a touch of salt too. 

Depending on what's cooking, I use spices that work in tandom with the meats or veggies.  Someone metioned lemon - I LOVE lemon in a lot of things, not a ton but enough that I know it's there.

And if you don't really want to invest in tons of spices, Mrs Dash has LOTS of combined spices to use ALL WITHOUT SALT OR MSG.  I like to have Old Bay in my cupboard all the time, sage, curries, mediterranean spices, cinnamon, mace, cloves and the like.